Malware? Browser changing, what should I do?

(10 Posts)

I have AVG, it says everything is fine. I've just run a scan.

A couple of days ago, when I opened google chrome, the default homepage was Ask. The suggestion online seems to think this is because of some malware/spyware? I've uninstalled it via the control panel and changed it as the default on google but should I be worried?

I'm a bit shock as I've been shopping online in the last couple of days - passwords, paypal and debit card <eek>

Should AVG sort it? Or can I download a free spyware check?

nannynick Thu 08-Nov-12 16:15:51

You could try running MalwareBytes to check for spyware.

Does anyone else use your computer? It may just be that someone installed something, or clicked something which only changed the homepage.

nannynick Thu 08-Nov-12 16:17:08

You could also try running Panda ActiveScan to see if a different anti-virus picks up anything that AVG misses.

No, just me. Thank you, I shall try and see.
I don't think I installed anything, I only use it for work and MN grin. And shopping.

RudolphUcker Thu 08-Nov-12 17:03:14

Malware says it's found 1 item <worried>
Tis I btw, Sue. Christmas change.

nannynick Thu 08-Nov-12 17:07:42

Did it remove it? That could be what it was.

RudolphUcker Thu 08-Nov-12 17:40:46

Sorry, had to go to Rainbows grin
Yes, it said it was pup.funmoods, which I googled and other Q&As seem to think it's something to do with emoticons on FB or similar. So I shan't cancel the bankcards yet!
You've been really helpful, thanks thank you.

nannynick Thu 08-Nov-12 17:45:21

Ah a facebook thing. I'll have to watch out for that on facebook, not that I know what I'm doing on facebook - I only use it to keep in touch with family.

1sassylassy Thu 08-Nov-12 19:06:55

Have you done a Java update recently,that asks you if you want to install the ASK toolbar,and you have to uncheck the box if you dont want it.

RudolphUcker Thu 08-Nov-12 19:10:55

I did do Java, yes. The bastards grin. That'll learn me for never reading the T&Cs.
I'm relieved nobody is likely to be stealing my money or identity anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now