I got rid of my triffid! Advice needed please!

(4 Posts)
hesterton Tue 15-Sep-15 08:04:46

I made an extraordinarily stupid mistake 3 years ago and planted Russian Ivy for some quick green in my newly landscaped small London garden.

New fence. Neighbours who are lovely but not remotely interested in ever doing anything other than keeping washing line access open in their garden. So all my triffid hacking to control the beast have meant that it was almost pulling the new fence over at the other side. We all agreed it needed to go. I thought it would take ages, but as soon as I have loosened it from the fence at my side and taken it off at the base, it fell in a neat 'sheet' on the other side. I rolled it up and plopped it over the back fence (I love living against a very overgrown railway embankment. )

Job done.

Now looking for advice - do I need to use a root killer? If I do, how long should I leave it before planting something more sensible?

OllyBJolly Tue 15-Sep-15 08:17:41

No advice, but just wanted to place mark. Your post is really encouraging. I planted some unidentified climber and it's now taking over the neighbour's gardens! I'm going to tackle it this weekend.

hesterton Tue 15-Sep-15 11:46:50

Good luck!

Sorry, it's Russian Vine not Ivy.

bowsaw Thu 17-Sep-15 09:33:11

please dont dump it on the railway embankment, thats one of the reasons the garden escapes get a hold and cost millions a year to take on, as they out compete natives, its also fly tipping a second offence and one that would be easy to trace as its come from over the wall as opposed to those cow boy builders that dump waste in the lay-bys

if the stems thick enough a herbicide injection could be tried or just keep knocking it back as soon as it re-shoots and use up its energy stores in the roots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now