transplanting rhubarb what do I need to know

(5 Posts)
eatyourveg Thu 27-Jun-13 20:25:27

Am digging up some rhubarb due to a house move - is it the wrong time of year or do I dig deep in case there are roots or do I cut off leaves or what? I know zilch about gardening but love rhubarb and this plant is going free to digger uppers.

Any advice on how to proceed or do I just stick the spade/fork in and pull it out then put it in a hole in my garden and let nature do its job?

OodPi Fri 28-Jun-13 17:06:14

Just dig it up or even split & dig half of it. Not the best time of year but its pretty indestructible.

eatyourveg Fri 28-Jun-13 18:06:02

thanks OodPi

purplewithred Sat 29-Jun-13 07:43:28

and chop off all the leaves - they will just wilt anyway, taking them off will help prevent the plant drying out completely.

Or just buy a new plant. they are dirt cheap and if they are happy they grow like weeds. In fact are you sure your new garden doesn't have one already?

eatyourveg Sat 29-Jun-13 08:28:28

Its a neighbour moving not me purplewithred - I've had transplants before from my pil but I seem to kill them every time. Asked the question in the hope that this time I might be able to avoid murdering it. Will remember about the leaves, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now