EMERGENCY URGENT ROSE HELP!

(11 Posts)

Knock on my door and I am now the owner of two orphaned rosebushes that were dug up further down the road.

Can they survive?

They have a bit of root still!

Maybe..... depends how much root, usually roses have a lot of root.

Do you have any myccorhizal fungi? If you did you would sprinkle it over the roots, dig a hole, put funghi in the hole too, plant and water well

Ubermumsy Tue 30-Apr-13 16:56:45

Plant them, water them well, and cross your fingers.

If they have a lot of top growth still, cut most of it off - the reduced root system will be able to cope better with that. Retain some leaves for photosynthesis though, if you can.

Thanks, I have planted and watered.

They were already cut back. Dug out and cut back by a couple of blokes working at Kew. However, they dumped them on my doorstep and left! shock
grin

I did not have the fungi, but had the kind of soil they like. Have covered to well about the knobly point which I dont know the name of in English. hmm

Ubermumsy Tue 30-Apr-13 21:01:05

Graft union?

Ah thank you! That is what I meant. Will cut up some banana skins tomorrow for fertilizer.

Ubermumsy Wed 01-May-13 04:20:13

Sounds good! Save your tea slops too (if you use a teapot), roses love a bit of cold tea.

Thanks for the tip. Dh drinks green tea, will that have the same effect?

It has not started wilting yet, so fingers crossed!

canyou Wed 01-May-13 10:37:46

Really bad green fingers here but I have managed to keep my Great Grandmothers rose bushes alive they have been moved 6 times in their life butchered twice We buy tea for them blush make a bucket leave it to steep and water them and the geraniums, rose plant food seems to help, the DC take their friends banana skins from lunch as well and tlc--talk to them-- I moved them last summer blush left them in the garden for a week a day or two and I still had beautiful yellow tea roses to put on my Christmas table

canyou Wed 01-May-13 10:38:36

Oh and my roses are not too fussy they like Aldi tea unlike my family who visit

grin Excellent!
I am heartened!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now