Best chilli recipes?

(17 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Mon 22-Feb-16 22:34:39

I'm fed up with spag bol so going to make chilli tomorrow for dinner - what are your best recipes?

RosyCat Mon 22-Feb-16 23:06:35

Hello

Fry some finely chopped onion and carrot in oil until soft.
Roast, skin and dressed a red, green and yellow/orange pepper.
Chop finely, add to onion/carrot mix along with some crushed garlic and chopped chilli. Fry til soft and aromatic.
Brown some mince, mix with vegetable mix, add a tin of plum tomatoes and some tomato puree. Simmer. add a wee bit of cinnamon stick.
Add some cocoa powder slaked with water once tomatoes have cooked down.
just before the end of cooking, add juice and zest of a lime and loads of chopped herbs (e.g.flat parsley)

RosyCat Mon 22-Feb-16 23:06:56

Dressed? Deseed!

midsomermurderess Tue 23-Feb-16 21:41:44

Google the Thomasina Meir's recipe, it's very good indeed.

AuntieMaggie Wed 24-Feb-16 20:22:49

Thank you.

Just looked at the thomasina miers recipe - looks delicious but where do you get the chillis?

Marzipants Wed 24-Feb-16 20:27:42

I love this one: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3228/chilli-con-carne

I add a couple of finely chopped sticks of celery in with the peppers to up the veg content.

NurseRosie Fri 26-Feb-16 10:43:44

My brother suggested adding coffee to chilli, apparently it gives a richness to the sauce. I haven't tried it but he loves it.

I have however tried grating a bit of dark chocolate. Sounds weird but has the same effect as the coffee.

snowymountaintops Fri 26-Feb-16 10:49:28

Cumin and cinnamon in chilli is lovely. I cook it for a long time so that it becomes rich and thick. Soured cream and fresh coriander with it yum!

midsomermurderess Fri 26-Feb-16 22:37:22

Tesco might have the chilis, in their speciality food it.

Gooseysgirl Fri 26-Feb-16 22:41:37

Google Nigella Express quick chilli recipe, it's a big favourite in my house!

DrivingMissLazy1 Fri 26-Feb-16 22:45:33

A friend recommended tinned tomato soup instead of tinned tomatoes and throwing in a can of baked beans as well as kidney beans. Turned out very tasty.

Casmama Fri 26-Feb-16 22:51:35

I make spag Bol for the kids but go easy on herbs then add cumin and chilli flakes but I appreciate that's a bit lazy grin

ScoopyDoo Fri 26-Feb-16 22:57:04

Hairy bikers chilli from diet book (but google it) is excellent.

geegeeW Fri 26-Feb-16 23:09:09

I love Jamie Oliver's vegetarian chilli with sweet potatoes and cinnamon...

cdtaylornats Sat 27-Feb-16 08:13:20

I use turkey mince in mine, not as fatty, cheaper and once its chillied there isn't much taste difference

neversleepagain Sat 27-Feb-16 21:58:50

Jamie Oliver's shin of beef chilli, delicious!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 28-Feb-16 10:05:25

I brown the meat then remove.
Soften onions then add garlic fresh chilli (or dried chilli flakes) plus ground cumin, coriander and smoked paprika for a couple mins.

Return meat to pan then add tinned toms, kidney beans, finely chopped green peppers and mushrooms. Simmer very slowly for an hour or so.

I feel like I've forgotten something ?! But that's the gist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now