How far ahead can I make mashed potato?

(5 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Fri 22-Jan-16 10:35:48

It's actually going to be champ - I'm feeding 8 and have heaps of other stuff to cook and a tiny kitchen <face palms>

Can I boil up the potatoes and mash 'em etc later? Or put the finished mash in the fridge to reheat (doesn't sound that appealing as fresh hot mash).

Or do I need to suck it up and make it right before we eat? Any tips for really yummy mashed potato very welcome. Mine is often a little bit lumpy confused

kelper Fri 22-Jan-16 10:37:46

Ive discovered you can freeze mashed potato, which is very handy smile

Fugghetaboutit Fri 22-Jan-16 10:40:37

Cook it ahead, put in fridge and to reheat add a little milk to bring it back to life and microwave of heat on hob

fourpawswhite Fri 22-Jan-16 10:42:24

I am by no means a masterchef, but I often have to cook for large numbers on the farm at lambing time etc.

For mash, I make it and put it in a lasagne type dish, usually with cheese on top. I then stick it in the over for around 30 minutes before serving. So sometimes it's made in the morning. I find that sorts any lumps and it always goes down really well.

CaptainWarbeck Fri 22-Jan-16 10:49:35

You are all brilliant thank you. I'm going to do the big dish with cheese on the top and hope that magically fixes my lumps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now