Cheesecake collapsed!

(6 Posts)
cherrytree63 Thu 17-Dec-15 12:52:11

I recently made a no bake cheesecake for the first time using the BBC good food recipe. I didn't add lemon juice, substituted the vanilla pod for essence, and used castor sugar instead of icing. If it's at all relevant, I used half Philadelphia and half Lidls own brand soft cheese. It was perfect and delicious!
The 2nd time I made it, I used icing sugar, and all Lidls cheese, and it would not set, tasted fine though.
My third attempt I went back to the castor sugar, used Sainsbury soft cheese, not only did it not set, the cream and the cheese seemed to separate!
I haven't changed any of the method, used the same utensils, and the base has been fine.
Any tips or ideas of what I did wrong gratefully accepted!

TheSpottedZebra Thu 17-Dec-15 16:13:58

You didn't use low fat soft cheese, did you? That doesn't work.
Also I find that you can over beat cream cheese and it loses its 'oompf'. I had a disaster with a cream cheese filling for a cake, one that I'd made quite a few times before, and I think I over beat it. And it all oozed out of the cake, and off the cake, and the layers of the cake separated. Not my proudest moment.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 17-Dec-15 16:53:35

Low ft doesn't work, it might be that, I find you have to look hard for full fat dairy now, Tesco substituted my full fat cottage cheese for fat free, noooooooooo.

cherrytree63 Thu 17-Dec-15 20:18:48

All full fat, and double cream! I'm just puzzled as to why the first one set perfectly.
Anyone tried it with mascarpone?

TheSpottedZebra Sun 27-Dec-15 18:28:36

Hmm, oddly - after posting on this thread a couple of weeks ago - this happened to me today. I've made it a million times before, and it's only mixing stuff together.

Has cream cheese changed? confused

Any ideas what I can do with a vat of unset cream cheese/cream combo?

cherrytree63 Mon 28-Dec-15 07:45:01

I've made two very successful cheesecakes since my disasters!
The recipe I used just said to mix the ingredients, but I beat them with my new electric blender thingy. I made one with half mascarpone, half Philly, which had a lovely mousse texture, and the other all Philly.
I must have beat the first one but then forgot blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now