What do you do with fat in the roasting tin left over from roast chicken?

(21 Posts)
MirandaGoshawk Mon 15-Jun-15 11:20:35

In winter I would use it in a pie or to make a soup. But I'm not making them atm & I use veg oil for frying. It seems a shame to chuck it out or just use it to liven up the dog's meals so wwyd?

SunnySomer Mon 15-Jun-15 11:23:55

I use the actual juices for stock and gravy, but the fat just gets binned.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 15-Jun-15 11:28:43

Freeze it, and use it for the potatoes next time I'm making a roast. No need to defrost, just pop the fat out of its plastic put into a hot roasting tin and melt.

Makes delicious potatoes.

AdventureBe Mon 15-Jun-15 11:41:02

My Dad once used it to fry the fishfingers for our tea. Don't do that grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 15-Jun-15 11:42:45

It doesnt work for making dumplings to go in chicken soup either!

IKeepChangingMyName Mon 15-Jun-15 11:45:01

I use the fat for stock.

AdventureBe Mon 15-Jun-15 11:46:55

I make stock out of the bones, but skim off the fat. Why do you add extra fat to stock IKeepChanging, or soup OP ?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 15-Jun-15 11:50:01

Dripping! It's heaven. I pour it off into a little bowl which I put in the fridge and have on toast instead of butter, sometimes with a dash of Marmite on top.

I do this with all different fats though I do not do as dh's grandad did and put them all into the same bowl, just pouring the new fat on top of the old. hmm

MirandaGoshawk Mon 15-Jun-15 12:03:11

Thanks all.

Adventure I meant the dark brown stuff technical rather than the actual fat. I'm veggie blush so I don't know about these things but I made roast chicken for DH & DS yesterday. I'll pour it off & freeze it & use for roast potatoes as per ItMustBe's suggestion.

I'll suggest dripping on toast to DH. Now you mention it I had bread & dripping as a child but I'm not sure DH ever did! much too MC

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 15-Jun-15 12:05:26

I pour it into a cup and let it cool, skim the fat off when it's separated and chuck the fat and use the stock for gravy or soup.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 15-Jun-15 12:11:14

The best kind of dripping toast is when you get a mixture of fat and lovely brown stuff....

DD's teacher once told them all about dripping in a 'terrible things children had to put up with in the olden days' sort of context. I still haven't been able to persuade it to try it (so all the more for me smile).

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 15-Jun-15 12:11:38

oops. 'persuade her to try it'.

mrspremise Mon 15-Jun-15 19:38:04

I use schmaltz to fry onions. smile

IKeepChangingMyName Mon 15-Jun-15 21:58:04

AdventureBe - I just chuck it all in to make stock! The whole lot in the pan. The fat rises to the top when it's frozen (I freeze in batches of 100-200ml rather than ice cubes), so I scrape if off if the meal I'm making doesn't want fat, and chuck it back in a different pot!

cdtaylornats Wed 17-Jun-15 15:15:50

Maltza ball soup

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 17-Jun-15 19:58:36

salted chicken shreds

ScrambledEggAndToast Wed 17-Jun-15 20:08:49

TheCountess- I always wondered what dripping was when I used to read things like the Famous Five. You've just answered my question and (sorry to say it) grossed me out gringrin

BertieBotts Wed 17-Jun-15 20:14:49

Cook the potatoes in it, and use half of it to make gravy.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 17-Jun-15 20:25:18

You're missing out, ScrambledEgg grin

Crikeyblimey Wed 17-Jun-15 20:28:43

The 'brown' stuff IS stock. Make gravy out of it. Just thicken and add some more veg water / wine. That's proper gravy.

MirandaGoshawk Thu 18-Jun-15 10:09:00

<<You tear up the chicken into 3- to 4-inch hunks and put them into a cold, dry wok along with the skins, the bones, and the chicken fat which you have skimmed off the cooking water. Nothing will be thrown out at this point. Neck bones. Thigh bones. Rib bones. Everything goes in. >>

The end result sounds as though it would taste amazing but this is a bit too hands-on for a vegetarian!

Next time I make gravy I won't reach for the granules smile Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now