Beetroot. What can I do with them for dinner?

(13 Posts)
goldrabbit Tue 05-Aug-14 23:04:09

Any ideas? I picked a few up at the farm shop the other day but not sure what to do with them...

CointreauVersial Tue 05-Aug-14 23:14:14

Scrub them, cut them into chunks, put into an oven dish with some olive oil, garlic, and a big slosh of balsamic vinegar.

Roast for about 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding a few chunks of goat's cheese for the last five minutes or so. Eat with crusty bread. Mmmmm

FishWithABicycle Tue 05-Aug-14 23:15:23

I love to make red coleslaw using grated beetroot, finely sliced red onion and red cabbage, and a 50:50 mix of philadelphia and mayo.

poach the beetroot either in water or in red wine and make a warm salad with cooked french beans and goats cheese, with a few cherry tomatoes, and vinaigrette.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Tue 05-Aug-14 23:17:29

Cor that coleslaw sounds lovely.

Also what Cointreau said but add some chilli sauce and honey. Bloody yum.

Raeray Tue 05-Aug-14 23:22:20

Yum!! Gonna buy some tomorrow and make the goats cheese dish- sounds divine.

Logarhythm Wed 06-Aug-14 07:32:44

Grate some with carrot in the food processor - by hand if your determined! Dress with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.

Cut into wedges and roast, serve with puy lentils, raw spinach and a fresh moussey goats cheese....again dress with balsamic vinegarette.

If you have access to curry leaves make a beetroot thoran.

HippieInASecondLocation Wed 06-Aug-14 07:37:49

Beetroot, feta and walnut risotto. Yum!

eatyourveg Wed 06-Aug-14 07:55:34

soup it has a lovely smokey flavour

Leaningtoweroflisa Wed 06-Aug-14 08:00:01

I was going to suggest the beet root / feta combo, yum.

I had a lovely starter of smoked salmon with beet root purée recently, wouldn't have thought to put those two together but it was delish.

evertonmint Wed 06-Aug-14 08:43:15

What Cointreau says. I would (and do) add spinach and toasted pine nuts/pumpkin seeds. It's totally lush roasted in balsamic.

Feta is a good alternative cheese to go with beetroot.

Don't panic when you go the loo though: a lot of beetroot can create an interesting colour effect grin

HuevosRancheros Wed 06-Aug-14 09:03:54

I love this this walnut, leek and beetroot salad from Jerusalem by Ottolenghi. The ingredients don't sound that "wow", but together they work amazingly well, fantastic smile

Beehatch Wed 06-Aug-14 09:08:20

Julienne raw and serve with Feta and sesame seeds dressed in vinaigrette

goldrabbit Wed 06-Aug-14 10:17:37

Thanks all! I'm going to do a combo of your suggestions and do a salad. I use prepared beetroot all the time but have never tackled one straight from the ground before! grin

Will roast and have with goat cheese and rocket. Think I have walnuts and/or seeds so will throw some of them in and because I love Ottolenghi I'll add pomegranate and coriander. Yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now