Venison mince - more interesting ideas than spag bol please!

(14 Posts)
gretagrape Sat 08-Feb-14 11:33:16

Hi - got my hands on two packs of this and as venison has such a lovely rich flavour I'd like to do more to it than drown it in tomato sauce and plonk it on spaghetti!

Any ideas?

Make it into a burger, with a bluecheese filling. Into a toasted seeded bun, tomatoes and crunchy lettuce (maybe little gem), served with homemade wedges and onion rings.

ThePearShapedToad Sat 08-Feb-14 11:35:12

How about turning into big portions of ravioli? With a really rich fruit jus

MasterOfTheYoniverse Sat 08-Feb-14 11:36:45

Braise with shallots, bay leaf, mushrooms & red wine.
Add a dash if cream and chopped parsley before serving or drizzle a gremolata on the plate.
Lush

gretagrape Sat 08-Feb-14 11:38:03

Re the ravioli, would I have to make the pasta? Really not a good enough cook for that - could I use lasagne sheets and somehow stick them together with the mince inside?

MasterOfTheYoniverse Sat 08-Feb-14 11:38:16

And spoon over fettucine

MasterOfTheYoniverse Sat 08-Feb-14 11:38:43

Do open lasagna

MasterOfTheYoniverse Sat 08-Feb-14 11:39:18

Well buttered fettucine

ThePearShapedToad Sat 08-Feb-14 11:45:07

Not sure lasagne sheets would work, but

Jamie Oliver

Or a cheats version food processor version

Give it a go, the worst that will happen is that you make a floury mess smile

gretagrape Sat 08-Feb-14 12:27:41

Ha ha - that's a given! Still, at least I'd have some glue for my shed window that's fallen out in the wind!

Like these ideas - I'll see what I've got in the cupboard and give one of them a go then a different one for the 2nd pack.

Thanks!

WilsonFrickett Sat 08-Feb-14 17:46:50

Koftas? Mix it up with lots of toasted ground spices, then form into kebaby type shapes, grill, serve with flatbread, harissa and a yogurt sauch?

eastfield10 Mon 10-Feb-14 16:19:49

I made this gamekeepers pie for christmas eve, it went down very well.

www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/gamekeepers-pie

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 10-Feb-14 16:21:24

I do a cottage pie thing with venison mince, adding chestnuts and redcurrant jelly and using celeriac as the toppping instead of potatoes. It seems to be quite popular!

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 10-Feb-14 20:08:11

Venison mince is great in chilli. It is very lean so not the best for burgers, unless you add something fattier like bacon. Koftas could be good if you added an egg for moisture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now