Ok I've got some samphire...

(20 Posts)

Always been curious about it, but now that I've got it, any ideas on what to do with it?

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Fri 03-Jan-14 23:13:28

Ohhhh I LOVE samphire. My first proper meal after having DD was steamed seabream with garlic and chilli and mashed potato and samphire. The samphire was just boiled for a couple of mins and then smothered in butter. Delicious.

PieceOfTheMoon Fri 03-Jan-14 23:14:26

Just pop it in the bin. Hth.

oh god samphire is bloody gorgeous! yes, or steamed.....

Nibble on it raw. Tis lovely.

GrandPoohBah Fri 03-Jan-14 23:16:57

YUM! I'd steam it or boil for a couple of minutes. Serve with sea bass fillet, mash and maybe a garlic butter sauce? Jealous...

figgypuddings Fri 03-Jan-14 23:17:05

Samphire! I eat it raw by the handful but it is lovely steamed.
AndIFeedEmGunpowder your idea sounds amazing!

catinboots Fri 03-Jan-14 23:18:23

What is it?

I thought it was just skinny green beans

OhBuggerandArse Fri 03-Jan-14 23:18:34

Boil/steam till al dente. Dip in melted butter. Nothing else required - lucky lucky you!

Nooooooooo! is a gorgeous little sea vegetable!

you could also a simple poached white fish, with hollondaise sauce and new potatoes

thecatfromjapan Fri 03-Jan-14 23:21:42

It's like teeny, tiny asparagus, v. salty-sea flavoured, grows near the sea, catinboots. One holiday, we picked samphire on a walk, then fried it in butter over the campfire. V. v. delicious.

CointreauVersial Fri 03-Jan-14 23:27:57

Yum. Steam and slather in butter. Lush with fish.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Fri 03-Jan-14 23:34:13

Figgy I think it was the best meal of my life.

I now have a samphire craving.

catinboots Sat 04-Jan-14 00:47:21

Ooooh yum I want some NOW.

That sounds like the best vegetable ever!

Can you get it in waitrose??

might do, and fishmongers usually have some.

exexpat Sat 04-Jan-14 00:52:17

Steamed and served with a bit of butter. Or it works very well with Japanese flavours - serve with rice and soy-glazed salmon or similar.

We got ours from Tesco.

Blu Sat 04-Jan-14 08:53:47

It has a fine woody stalk. Eat it with your fingers and drag the flesh off the stalk with your teeth.

Delicious boiled and then with butter or a little live oil and lemon juice, it is really good for you, rich in minerals that are not common in other foods.

Allalonenow Sat 04-Jan-14 08:59:08

Ocado often have it, so Waitrose probably will too. ( In France it's usually on the fish counter)
I fry it gently in butter with a bit of garlic, or use it to stuff small fish I'm going to bake in foil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now