i wanted a ham and have bought a gammon joint by mistake

(30 Posts)
Monkeyandanimal Tue 24-Dec-13 09:31:20

It was half price in tesco, finest wiltshire cured gammon joint, and the instructions say to roast it. MIL says i can treat it like a ham and soak it to remove saltiness, boil and then roast and glaze it like i would a ham. Will this work or will i ruin it ? I don't want it too salty and i really wanted ham; if i treat it like a ham will it behave like one?

Is it not a ham?

HDEE Tue 24-Dec-13 09:33:13

I thought a gammon joint WAS ham. What's the difference?

stargirl1701 Tue 24-Dec-13 09:34:07

I thought it was a gammon before it was cooked and a ham after it was cooked.

MotheringShites Tue 24-Dec-13 09:34:48

I thought gammon becomes a ham once it's cooked. At least that's what Nigella says.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 24-Dec-13 09:34:53

Its the same thing.

Monkeyandanimal Tue 24-Dec-13 09:35:08

oh god, i don't know! The instructions have me confused...

Is this a wind up?

It's the same thing!

EmpireBiscuit Tue 24-Dec-13 09:35:41

Same thing - your MIL is right though, boil for am hour to remove salt.

Monkeyandanimal Tue 24-Dec-13 09:43:40

Ha ha, TravellingToad, its not a wind up! When i was little we were served gammon in school and it was like a big pink pork chop and was so salty it was inedible! I mean i know its all much the same cut on a pig, but i wasn't sure if the curing process was very different according to the name on the end product IYSWIM! Now i feel very thick. And i'm normally quite intelligent and quite a good cook!

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 24-Dec-13 09:46:38

Same thing? I did a large gammon the other day. Boiled for 20 a pound less half an hour and just roasted it for last 30 mins. Lovely

Monkeyandanimal Tue 24-Dec-13 09:49:13

Ok, thanks all, a ham by any other name is still as delicious i guess! off to boil the thing!

7to25 Tue 24-Dec-13 09:52:30

Put it in cold water and bring to the boil. Throw away the brine then repeat.
Now roast the joint. Are you Irish?

Lilymaid Tue 24-Dec-13 09:53:38

I think that a ham is really the back legs of a pig, cured - then cooked (or not cooked if it is Parma ham/Serrano etc). Gammon joints come from other parts of the pig - foreleg etc.
Agree that it is generally best to boil it (simmer rather than hard boil), then finish off in the oven if you want a nice moist meat.

Trills Tue 24-Dec-13 10:00:19

If I cook "a ham" then what I buy is labelled as a gammon joint.

rumbelina Tue 24-Dec-13 10:02:59

DH and I were wondering about this the other day. But whey do they sell 'gammon' and 'ham' joints then??

rumbelina Tue 24-Dec-13 10:04:13

Or maybe they don't!

ashamedoverthinker Tue 24-Dec-13 10:05:21

Well I had a gammon joint and I followed a bbc food recipe - it seems to have done a good job of converting it to a ham joint.

We ate it and it tasted like ham.

ashamedoverthinker Tue 24-Dec-13 10:06:18

the joints labelled ham are already cooked and ready to eat no?

NearTheWindmill Tue 24-Dec-13 10:06:23

A ham is huge. A gammon joint is part of a ham. Treat in exactly the same way. Generally if it's from the supermarket it shouldn't need soaking. I put mine straight in the oven, wrapped in foil, with coke poured over, a bayleaf and peppercorns. At the end I take it out rest it, shave off the rind, score, insert cloves, and slaver with a mixture of honey and english mustard.

Tortoise Tue 24-Dec-13 10:08:10

Gammon/ham same thing. Nice cooked in the slow cooker smile .
Bloody Tesco substituted my boxing day gammon with beef! Now I have to hope small local co-op have some gammon left today!

Monkeyandanimal Tue 24-Dec-13 10:39:09

No, i'm not irish but DH is.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 24-Dec-13 11:06:10

I can remember trying to buy a ham years ago to do ham in coke. Went round all the supermarkets and couldn't find a ham. It was either MN or my mum told me it was a gammon joint I needed. Bloody nigella.

Monkeyandanimal Tue 24-Dec-13 11:19:56

So it's not just me then Viva !

VivaLeBeaver Tue 24-Dec-13 11:37:20

No. grin

I've just found a gammon in the fridge which is 4 days out of date. It smells ok, am going to cook it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now