What on earth can I do with Turkey Mince?

(18 Posts)
TinselinaBumSquash Tue 10-Dec-13 10:04:24

I order a Turkey leg with the shopping, they've sent Turkey mince instead.

What can I use it for, we've already had meatballs once this week so I don't think I want to do them again,

Any bright ideas?

GrandOldDukeOfBabies Tue 10-Dec-13 10:11:49

Anything that you would use beef mince for. We have changed from beef to turkey mince in everything now, it so much healthier! Had enchiladas last night, but have done spag Bol, chilli etc. You won't notice the difference!

mrsWast Tue 10-Dec-13 10:15:28

put it in the bin. i tried with turkey mince, i really did. but it looked like i was cooking a brain and me and DH were gipping so hard i had to throw it away.

your mileage may vary.

TinselinaBumSquash Tue 10-Dec-13 10:17:00

I think I'll do a spag Bol then, easiest thing to bung in the slow cooker! smile

orangepudding Tue 10-Dec-13 10:17:24

I made my family Nigella's turkey meatballs last week and they loved it.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/turkey_meatballs_in_16570

vixsatis Tue 10-Dec-13 12:10:18

It's very lean so you may find that you need to add more fat than you would with beef mince.

I sometimes make a sort of turkey curry shepherd's pie. Fry onion and perhaps some grated crated carrot in oil or ghee then add garlic, ginger and green chilli, all finely chopped and spices, depending on what is in the cupboard: usually this includes turmeric and ground cumin and coriander. Then add the minced turkey. You can add tomotoes and/or peas if you wish and once it has all cooked down to a soft mush it is nice to stir in some plain yoghurt. Taste and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Top with buttery mashed potato and bake until done.

DeathMetalMum Tue 10-Dec-13 13:05:01

We do enchilidas which are lovely also turkey burgers and turkey con carne.

We have turkey mince pretty much weekly.

Gemizzel Tue 10-Dec-13 16:11:48

this is nice and very easy

Lunaballoon Tue 10-Dec-13 17:59:43

These turkey burgers.

youaremychocolatecake Tue 10-Dec-13 18:25:50

I've done burgers before or you can fry it up with some Chinese 5 spice,
Soy etc and have it wrapped in lettuce leaves x

mimolette Tue 10-Dec-13 20:22:49

Ottolenghi has a lovely recipe for turkey and courgette burgers

MrsKwazii Tue 10-Dec-13 20:26:19

Add Thai seven spice, spring onions and peppers for really delicious burgers. V tasty!

Ememem84 Tue 10-Dec-13 20:31:03

Meatballs. Form into meatballs add grated lemon zest. Make sauce with Creme fraiche lemon zest and rocket. Serve with pasta.

Lunaballoon Tue 10-Dec-13 21:01:30

Ooh YY to the Ottolenghi burgers. I made those ages ago, but I'd completely forgotten about them. Must get turkey mince tomorrow and do them again!

BIWI Tue 10-Dec-13 21:08:18

I was going to post the Ottolenghi recipe! They are gorgeous.

HighVoltage Tue 10-Dec-13 21:59:51

I liked this turkey meatloaf which I think I saw on Barefoot Contessa. It tastes really light, almost moussey.

sharond101 Tue 10-Dec-13 22:43:00

We do turkey enchiladas (stir fry chopped onion and peppers with turkey mince, stir through red pesto and fold into tortillas and bake.) We also do same but use a bbq sauce (or homemade) and serve ontop of nachos. Both are favourites here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now