Has anyone bought Do-Ahead Dinners by James Ramsden?

(14 Posts)
ObtuseAngel Thu 10-Oct-13 11:06:16

What do you think of it? It would be handy for me to be able to makes stuff ahead of time but it needs to be things that the DC will actually eat (they are fussy buggers) and also not take up too much time.

It has terrific reviews, in fact a bit too gushy which makes me a little suspicious of them.

ObtuseAngel Thu 10-Oct-13 11:06:49

Sorry, link here

ObtuseAngel Thu 10-Oct-13 21:18:04

Bumping because Mumsnet knows everything about everything. grin

ObtuseAngel Fri 11-Oct-13 11:49:21

I'm going to hold my breath until somebody answers me! <stamps feet>

schmalex Sat 12-Oct-13 07:12:09

Isn't it a dinner party type book? Not sure whether it's the sort of recipes you would use for DC suppers (I have not read the book, but I would check this first!)

ObtuseAngel Sat 12-Oct-13 10:14:43

<takes a breath>. Thanks for replying. grin

The blurb talks about friends and family, but perhaps they mean family occasions rather and just general eating as a family.

I'll probably end up buying it anyway. I have a bit of a cookbook problem. smile

Allalonenow Sat 12-Oct-13 10:33:54

If you search for this book on Amazon UK, you can use "Look Inside" to have a good read of it before you buy it. As he says in the introduction, it came about because he was cooking for his restaurant but having to prepare the food elsewhere.
You will be able to see the list of dishes covered, to tell if it is suitable for what you want.

ObtuseAngel Sat 12-Oct-13 13:29:57

I didn't even think of doing that, thanks All. I've had a look and I think it might be a bit too rich for my tastes. I should probably look for a good cook and freeze book instead.

Allalonenow Sat 12-Oct-13 14:19:14

smile
cake

mrspremise Sat 12-Oct-13 19:01:25

Have a look at Cook Now, Eat Later by St. Mary of Berry. Its a bit good, it is smile

ObtuseAngel Sat 12-Oct-13 19:07:58

Mary Berry is always so reliable and sensible, isn't she? I gave one of her books to my DB for Christmas once when he admitted that he doesn't really cook, just reheats stuff he's bought. grin I will check that out, thanks.

CarolBornAMan Mon 14-Oct-13 21:45:05

I bought it and it is very dinner party and not too much Wednesday night tea if you get me.. nice stuff but not going to be much use after work! My fave still is Alex Mackay whose book everybody everyday is great for school nights as it shows how to adapt meals for kids and what can be done in advance

ObtuseAngel Mon 14-Oct-13 21:59:05

Thanks Carol, I'll check out Alex Mackay. I have ordered Cook Now, Eat Later as recommended by mrspremise, and while I was logged into Book Depository anyway I also ordered One Step Ahead, also by Mary Berry. (Have I mentioned that I have a bit of a cookbook problem? grin)

CarolBornAMan Tue 15-Oct-13 08:50:53

I feel your Cook Book pain - I order at least one a week and have to admit I order Do-Ahead having read about it here and then reviewing on Amazon .. I do think the reviews for Do-ahead are a little over the top as it is good but not that good - definitely some stuff I will cook but I was hoping for more mid week ideas as have 100s of dinner party books!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now