NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Reliable buttercream

(34 Posts)
teacher123 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:16:47

My buttercream icing is crap. All these years I've just been mixing butter and icing sugar and everyone else's seems to taste nicer than mine and be a better consistency hmm I like it when it has quite a crisp shell and is smooth on the inside and can be piped easily. Help!!

MinimalistMommi Fri 09-Aug-13 15:24:21

fluffy noted!

fluffyanimal Fri 09-Aug-13 15:21:56

No no no, DON'T use Lurpak Spreadable for buttercream. When you begin to work it, it goes too spreadable and liquid. I used this once because it was the only butter in our cornershop and I tried to fill a victoria sponge with it. The resulting mixture was very slack and the filling just oozed out of the cake all over the place. Never again!

MinimalistMommi Fri 09-Aug-13 15:19:15

desperately grin

MinimalistMommi Fri 09-Aug-13 15:17:28

I feel desperatly disappointed when I taste a cake and it has claggy buttercream made from real butter wink

Bunbaker Fri 09-Aug-13 09:10:35

"Oh, and I ALWAYS use stork in my sponge cakes, makes much lighter cakes then using butter!"

So do I. I just don't use it on my cakes because I like the taste of butter and I don't like the taste of margarine. It just comes down to personal taste.

I once took a large mouthful of a beautifully decorated cake only to nearly spit it out again because the "buttercream" wasn't made with butter. It was desperately disappointing.

teacher123 Fri 09-Aug-13 09:01:00

Wow-I had no idea this would cause such discussion! I haven't done any baking yet. But I will try to do some on Sunday and report back!

MinimalistMommi Fri 09-Aug-13 07:50:11

Oh, and I ALWAYS use stork in my sponge cakes, makes much lighter cakes then using butter!

MinimalistMommi Fri 09-Aug-13 07:48:35

Somebody else using Stork here for 'buttercream' cakecentral.com/t/757689/chocolate-buttercream-pulling-away-from-cake

LOL grin

MinimalistMommi Fri 09-Aug-13 07:46:30

Bun I called it stork cream especially for you, oh for heavens sake wink
You sounded so funny Bun!

MinimalistMommi Fri 09-Aug-13 07:45:34

Molly I've had to throw an entire cake away when I used butter, it tasted absolutely vile too, ha ha!

ad not the block, the stork in the tub, it tastes lush and not all claggy and buttery <puke> like using butter does.

For my Stork cream I do 50/50 and then just shake in some more icing sugar after to get to right consistency.

Using Lurpak spreadable sounds good because of the added oil in it, it might not taste to buttery grin

craftycottontail Thu 08-Aug-13 23:33:42

Spreadable Lurpack every time, tastes heavenly!

It needs much more icing sugar though (not the 50/50 rule), I've never measured but for a cake I'd start with 3oz Lurpack and keep adding sifted icing sugar until it's the right consistency

MollyBerry Thu 08-Aug-13 22:18:44

I can't believe you're using stork for buttercream!! It's vile

In terms of butter buttercream agree with whipping it for ages. What I do is whip the butter for ages and try and gently mix the icing sugar in so it doesn't fly everywhere. I then mix it some more with the mixer again

adagio Thu 08-Aug-13 21:48:24

stork cream just doesn't have the same ring to it….

Do you use the tub of stork or the block of stork? I agree about butter being too buttery!

Bunbaker Thu 08-Aug-13 21:29:50

I hate this expression so apologies, but... each to their own. And, for heaven's sake, don't call it buttercream.

MinimalistMommi Thu 08-Aug-13 21:19:50

Bun it doesn't taste vile to me, butter tastes too 'buttery' to me grin

notapizzaeater Thu 08-Aug-13 18:14:40

I always use butter but I leave it whisking in my Kenwood for at least 10 mins, it at least doubles in size and isn't sweet and claggly .

Bunbaker Thu 08-Aug-13 18:11:33

"I use Stork marg to make mine"

shock
shock
shock

Stork is fine for baking. It should be banned for buttercream. For a start if it doesn't contain butter it ain't buttercream, and secondly it tastes vile.

MinimalistMommi Thu 08-Aug-13 18:07:15

I use Stork marg to make mine, but I have to use more icing sugar to stork otherwise it's too 'wet'. It tastes lush though! Probably be rubbish for piping... blush

teacher123 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:17:58

Ok-tomorrow I shall bake cakes, and buy some frosting and make some as well whipping it for longer. And then I shall do extensive testing and see what I think smile

I think part of it is that you need to whisk it for aaaages, I think at least 5 mins is what Hummingbird bakery book says. Mine improved after I started doing that.

Bunbaker Wed 07-Aug-13 22:13:42

"make sure your butter is unsalted and at room temp, never use marj."

I always used salted butter because IMO unsalted butter makes it too sickly sweet. I agree about never using margarine.

Twice the weight of icing sugar to butter is the way to go. Also, whisking it with an electric whisk for about 5 minutes gives it the right consistency.

Double icing sugar to butter. Have your butter very soft.

I add a few tsps of milk to mine and a drop or two of vanilla extract.

hermioneweasley Wed 07-Aug-13 22:09:40

Betty Crocker icing is very chemical tasting.

I also use Hummingbird bakery one, but use less icing sugar than they say or it's too sweet.

teacher123 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:08:09

Maybe I need to go and buy a tub of each flavour tomorrow. For research purposes you understand...

LaundryLegoLunch Wed 07-Aug-13 22:05:33

I've not tried the choc one but the vanilla one is quite sweet but soft and easy to use. It lasts a month after opening and can be eaten straight from the pot with a spoon

Give it a go, see what you think. I do love baking but had no luck with buttercream so this has been a saviour for me. Even my uber-critical mum had to admit it was quite nice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now