Does anyone else feel gloomy when a new recipe goes wrong?

(17 Posts)
bumblebeaver Mon 05-Aug-13 13:14:02

I made Bill Granger's beef rendang last and it tasted vile. I have made loads of his recipes and they have all turned out really well. I followed the recipe exactly and had all the right ingredients - I was hoping to put 2 extra portions in the freezer but I don't know how I would palm it off on them again.

<gloom>

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 05-Aug-13 14:06:40

Yes, usually ending in a total depression that I'm a crap cook and sulking for the rest of the evening.

MarjorieAntrobus Mon 05-Aug-13 14:21:54

Yes, particularly if I spent a lot of time and/or money on it.

bumblebeaver Mon 05-Aug-13 16:52:17

Fluffy that's exactly what I did grin

I try so hard confused

snowlie Mon 05-Aug-13 17:10:26

Hairy Bikers have a good Rendang. I know what you mean about having disasters - dh is always very polite and eats it, while i folk it around the plate grumbling.

bumblebeaver Mon 05-Aug-13 17:13:42

Really? Have you made their rendang? This one had lemongrass, coconut milk and tamarind. At the start it tasted horrible but I thought it might improve. Alas, no. It was sort of sour.

I might get Nigel out tonight, he's never let me down.

I like rasa malaysia website or Rick Stein for Asian, neither have failed me, not tried rendang yet though.

bumblebeaver Mon 05-Aug-13 18:06:01

That's interesting Netto, i love Rick Stein for fish and saw he had a curry book out but haven't bought it yet. I've got everyday asian by bill granger and I have made some absolutely brilliant recipes with it. All household favourites. That's why I was so confident about his beef. I'm half wondering if something was off - I used tamarind paste that I got from the supermarket and kept in the fridge, but noticed it was quite runny, rather than pasty.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 05-Aug-13 19:04:34

I've read articles that say some recipes are just wrong, so it's doomed to failure from the start.

DOOMED I tell you.

snowlie Mon 05-Aug-13 19:45:08

I've made the rasaMalaysia Rendang too - dh thinks the Hairy Bikers recipe tasted more like the real thing - I couldn't comment on that having never tasted an authentic one before. The Barts Tamarind sauce I use is runny and it's ok.

I can't use Bill Granger's recipes, because his smile is too sinister, yes, I'm shallow. grin

I don't have Rick Stein's curry book yet but have tried so many recipes from Far Eastern Odyssey and all have been amazing.
Just last week I did the beef pho and loved it.

bumblebeaver Tue 06-Aug-13 08:39:13

Netto I can't look at him now. Maybe I'll turn to Ken Hom, he has a lovely grin. I just bought Far Eastern Odyssey. WHich recipes do you recommend?

Just dug the book out.
I've tried:
Cambodian rice porridge
Vietnamese beef noodle soup
Barbecued pork patties with noodles,, chicken broth and salad leaves
Clams with beer, black beans and ginger
Pad thai noodles
Singapore laksa
Chicken curry kapitan (this is gorgeous)
Aubergine curry with chilli, tomato and kaffir lime
Tomato curry
Spict fried potato curry with paneer and peas
Moghul chicken korma

Everything is on my to try list though, I love RS's Asian food.

Some of the dishes are on my blog, which I haven't updated for yonks.
Lots of other Asian food on there, it's probably our favourite. I'm trying a Korean pork dish tomorrow.

bumblebeaver Wed 07-Aug-13 16:59:12

Thanks Netto, you're so very kind smile

I might actually try the chicken kapitan tonight and will definitely check out your blog, we are all big asian foodies in this house.

Us too.
As well as the pho last week, I also tried roti canai for the first time and black pepper tofu.

bumblebeaver Thu 08-Aug-13 08:11:42

Netto, you are clearly fearless in the kitchen! I am a bit cowed by my rank rendang experience, but reading to try new stuff again.

Do you ever use Ketjap Manis? I bought it for a recipe I was going to try but then never found again. In fact, I can't find any recipe that uses it.

I have had some brilliant recipes from Ken Hom too.

Yes, I use it all the time.
Some of Rick Stein's recipes call for it and the Rasa Malaysia site. I also use it as a general seasoning or just to sling onto noodle/rice dishes.
I've been to Indonesia a few times where it's on every table to add to food as you wish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now