So.... How many toddlers will eat salad?

(33 Posts)
Wearegoingtobedlehem Sun 30-Jun-13 17:46:28

Just wondered really, in this hot weather I would love to be able to eat salad as a family. But dd1 & dd2 both not keen at 2 and 3 years.

Do your toddlers eat salad- if so what?

ShoeWhore England Mon 08-Jul-13 13:51:47

Big two are great with salad now and eat pretty much anything. They are a bit older though (nearly 9 and 7). Dc3 still refuses to eat "leaves" grin apart from pea shoots.

When they were smaller salad was more veg sticks really - cucumber, pepper, carrot plus sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes on a good day.

I always serve salad in a big bowl with nice homemade dressing - they like both the dressing and the ceremony of helping themselves to it I think.

tory79 Thu 04-Jul-13 22:16:39

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no

EugenesAxe Wed 03-Jul-13 12:58:24

DS likes cucumber and tomato and occasionally avocado. He also ate one of his home-grown radishes the other day.

I have thrown down the gauntlet today though as his lunchbox sandwich is beef, cheese, mayo and spinach/rocket/watercress salad. I suspect lots of green bits will come home, and no meat or cheese.

I might try Nicoise sometime though - I reckon that would be oomphy enough to be accepted.

SparePants - I'm not often, but I am envy about your wonderful DS! I wish I could have successfully breastfed my two as I eat everything... and I'll bet it would have rubbed off a bit.

Pascha Wed 03-Jul-13 12:46:35

Nope. Ignores it all. And fruit. And most veg. And most meat.

MummyPig24 Wed 03-Jul-13 12:44:29

My children do. They are 5 and 3. They sometimes eat a bit of lettuce but they love cucumber, pepper, carrot, sweet corn, they don't like tomatoes though.

MERLYPUSS Wed 03-Jul-13 11:56:38

Mine will eat all salad including raw spanish onion but DT2 is not overly keen on 'wet' stuff like mayo, coleslaw or pot salad. He won't eat the protien bit either but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Sirzy Wed 03-Jul-13 11:16:59

DS is 3.5 and loves salad now, he didn't like lettuce at first but loves it now and will ask for a bowl of lettuce and carrot as a snack (but turn down chocolate, odd child!)

Beehatch Wed 03-Jul-13 11:14:32

Mine seem to find leaves impossible to eat - it just gets stuck on the roof of their mouths. DD is now 6 and can manage crunchy bits of lettuce like the stalk bits of Romaine.

All other salad stuff gets consumed at a rate of knots, their favourite tea is 'snack plate' which is basically crudites with some cubes of cheese and breadsticks.

I found that DS1 only really likes 'fancier' salads. He is really not keen on lettuce, tomato, cucumber and some salad dressing. He does like caesar salad, tomato and pomegranate salad, a kind of Mexican salad of avocado, red onion, sweetcorn, coriander and lime juice, and a salad of cucumber chunks, onion, feta and mint.

GibberTheMonkey Wed 03-Jul-13 10:59:37

Mine all started off eating stuff, then between 20 months and 6 start refusing odd tHings. Eventually they start trying them again. I've stopped worrying about it to be honest

notso Wed 03-Jul-13 10:57:20

"Don't like a leaf" has been the refrain in our house for toddlers! I keep persevering and DD 13 started eating lettuce a couple of years ago.
My 2.6yo eats tomatoes, cucumber and peppers.
My 14 month old eats olives, peppers grated carrot, peeled cucumber and tomatoes, he attempts lettuce but only has one tooth so struggles.

I add things like cubes of cheese or parmesan shavings, croutons, warm pitta bread chopped up, crispy bacon or pancetta, grapes or strawberries and different dressings to make them more exciting.

Idislikemymil Wed 03-Jul-13 10:39:33

Keep trying. My 2 year old wasn't keen at first, for quite a long time. Eventually she tried bits and now will eat anything, but not avocado. Don't offer anything else, just put the meal out.

Fenton Bosnia-Herzegovina Wed 03-Jul-13 10:35:19

I found mine would eat them if they were cut into sticks, so I would give them cucumber, yellow and orange peppers, lettuce rolled up with ham, cheese, celery - all arranged in a nice colourful fan on their plates.

Never managed to get them to eat tomatoes though, they still will only have tomato if it's in a pasta sauce or ketchup!

DS1 (at 13) is only starting to eat salad now, and it depends on what type whether he'll eat it. DS2 is not interested in salad. He'll happily steal all the pepper off the chopping board while I'm cooking, but doesn't eat it if I put it on his plate. He generally seems to prefer his vegetables cooked.

It doesn't really bother me. DH doesn't consider salad a real food, so I wouldn't be making just salad as a meal anyway.

ouryve Wed 03-Jul-13 10:29:59

DS1 is way beyond toddlerhood, now, but has always loved salad. He's been a bit meh with lettuce in various phases, but things like cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and carrot sticks have always gone down well.

tigerlilygrr Wed 03-Jul-13 10:28:28

I spent over a year putting a little bit of whatever salad I had to hand on dd's plate (think one cherry Tom, couple of leaves, strip of pepper or even less) and then throwing it away as she wouldn't eat it. However over time she gradually started trying little bits here and there and now she's pretty good! I do really recommend the approach of just letting them have healthy choices and then they'll make their own way, it has really worked for us.

DeathMetalMum Sun 30-Jun-13 18:30:46

None really. She will suck the seeds and juice from a tomato but thats it. She always asks for cucumber and 'letters' - lettuice, raddish, beetroot and either tries and spits out or just leaves it. We find a better approach to salad is to have it self serve in a bowl rather than directly on her plate. The first way she asks and tries rather than asking us to take it off her plate.

Oh and dd2 eats mushrooms. Dd1 does not. Neither like olives or radishes.

Dd1 eats most salad she eats raw spinach, lettuce, cucumber, sweet pepper, raw carrot, sweetcorn. She won't eat tomato, beetroot or avocado.

Dd2 eats all the above plus tomato, beetroot and avocado.

Neither of them like raw celery.

SparePants Sun 30-Jun-13 18:22:07

My DS who is 3 asked for salad for tea today and often chooses it in restaurants too. He bloody loves leaves, onions, radishes. There's nothing he won't eat but salad is a definite favourite.

fuckwittery Sun 30-Jun-13 18:18:48

My just 3 and just 6 year old will eat cucumber and tomatoes and carrot sticks happily. I only get the 3 year old to eat peppers when I chop them up with the tomato small. the 6 year old won't touch peppers. Both of them will eat leaves under duress and bribes.

What else goes in a salad.... no olives.... will both eat most fruit though DD1 not keen on pears.
Both profess to intensely dislike mushroom, I can't even get hidden ones into the 6 year old. Neither like avocado, both like nuts and seeds.

CointreauVersial Sun 30-Jun-13 18:16:00

Carrot sticks, cucumber, and cherry toms have always been popular. Maybe not lettuce so much, or creamy things like coleslaw.

CaptainKirksNipples Sun 30-Jun-13 18:14:07

Get them to watch 'How animals eat their food' on YouTube, that should help too smile

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 30-Jun-13 18:13:04

My 14month old will eat anything you give her except melon or cucumber.

CaptainKirksNipples Sun 30-Jun-13 18:11:54

Mine do (dd7 and ds9) and have done since they were little. I got them to eat leaves without using their hands or cutlery and make bunny ears while doing it grin totally fell for it and love eating salad now! They can eat it normally now but it was fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now