Veggie sausage and burger recommendations please

(30 Posts)
Torrorosso Sat 22-Jun-13 11:19:59

It's for a BBQ party next weekend.

Any recommendations for good burgers and sausages for veggies please?

Tia

expatinscotland Sat 22-Jun-13 11:20:25

I prefer Cauldron sausages.

TiredyCustards Sat 22-Jun-13 11:23:31

Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are delicious, really juicy. Not sure how they'd fare on a BBQ though - I had some nice Sainsbury's mushroom + spinach ones from the fridge aisle at a BBQ.

I like Sainsbury's own veggie sausages, but they're pretty basic. Perhaps Glamorgan sausages?

HuevosRancheros Sat 22-Jun-13 11:48:31

Quorn 'Best of British' sausages are the best imho. Nice and chunky, good for a BBQ smile

Asda own brand veggie burgers are quite nice.
Don't buy the quorn ones they have the strange texture of dried up minced fish.

BiscuitsandBaileys Sat 22-Jun-13 12:11:00

tiredycustards I had Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers on the BBQ the other night, I think I'd have rather eaten the box they came in! They dried right out and were awful sad

Torrorosso Sat 22-Jun-13 12:14:28

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

Halloumi cheese is lovely done on the barbecue as an alternative to burgers.

Torrorosso Sat 22-Jun-13 12:45:21

Thanks Mother - will definitely go for halloumi. I suspect many of the non veggies will go for that too.

superbagpuss Sat 22-Jun-13 12:48:06

veggie kebabs on a BBQ taste great

Lincolnshire asda sausages are yummy

xigris Sat 22-Jun-13 12:51:24

The quorn burgers in the freezer section are (in my and DHs opinion) the best ever veggie burgers for bbqs. Make sure you buy the soya type and not the vegetable sort as they'll fall to bits or be soggy and rank. Cauldron Cumberland sausages are good too.

Onetwo34 Sat 22-Jun-13 12:52:15

I like Cauldron ones too.

TiredyCustards Sat 22-Jun-13 21:14:35

biscuits I knew it! Did all the mozzarella fall out of the bottom?

ArthurCucumber Sat 22-Jun-13 21:23:55

Cauldron and halloumi all the way for our resident veggie. In fact, last time we had a BBQ with just the four of us we didn't even bother getting the meaty things out of the freezer and just bought extra halloumi grin.

ArthurCucumber Sat 22-Jun-13 21:26:24

We especially like the halloumi after it's been marinated a while in olive oil, garlic, herbs and lemon juice. And as it's veggie, you can safely use any remaining marinade as a salad dressing.

nellyjelly Sat 22-Jun-13 21:26:57

Most are horrid. Quorn ones with lots of ketchup do best at bbqs ime. But second Halloumi as isyummy. Also vegetable kebabs. Lots of peppers, onion, courgettes etc on a stick on bbq are nice and big portobello mushrooms brushed with oil bbqed and stuck in a roll go down well

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 24-Jun-13 22:53:43

Big fat portabello mushrooms with garlicky oil make the best burgers.

BiscuitsandBaileys Tue 25-Jun-13 12:11:28

tiredycustards I don't know, dh cooked them. Him and dd's tucked into their ribs and sausages while I chewed on my cardboard burgers!
It's the first time I'd tried them though, are they better when cooked in the oven?

I like the Morrisons vegetable quarter pounders but not sure you can BBQ them

TiredyCustards Tue 25-Jun-13 20:11:46

biscuits oh yes, they're completely gorgeous from the oven.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 25-Jun-13 20:13:59

My vote goes to quorn sausages (the bangers), and the halloumi, and/or the fat mushroom done with load of butter and garlic!

I've just tried the Quorn cocktail sausages for the first time - they are surprisingly moreish.

Sorry, just read the thread and realised you want them for the BBQ - ignore.

HeathcliffeItsMe Tue 25-Jun-13 20:24:21

Cauldron sausages and hallumi.

ravenAK Tue 25-Jun-13 20:27:49

Halloumi, veg kebabs & portobello mushrooms (I stuff mine with an onion, garlic, breadcrumb & cheese mixture then plonk in a roasting tin with a drizzle of olive oil, rather than cooking direct on BBQ).

If this is all too much faff, Quorn sausages are probably the best. Wouldn't bother with burgers - they either dry out or collapse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now