When making dinner in the week that requires a gravy, what do you do?

(37 Posts)
carriedawayannie Thu 09-May-13 15:28:12

On a Sunday I make gravy with the roasting juices.

In the week I use shop bought. I wish I could be bothered to make homemade in the week but I can't.

What do you do?

mikkii Sat 11-May-13 22:41:41

DH is a chef, that's great when he's cooking, but as far as DCs re concerned shop bought gravy is (and I quote)"fake". DH puts veg under the meat when it's cooking, adds stock and wine, often some paprika or chilli powder and will thicken it with flour or arrowroot.

I use veg water, some wine and granules. Needless to say, any leftovers of his are frozen to make the next batch.....

buildingmycorestrength Sat 11-May-13 22:33:33

Bisto, I meant, bloody spell check.

buildingmycorestrength Sat 11-May-13 22:33:10

Um, Bistro, of course? Doesn't everyone?

gorionine Sat 11-May-13 15:56:30

Aaaaaaaah Bisto! smile

SacreBlue Sat 11-May-13 15:53:05

Ooo not tried that westmoreland but will next time! Mine is cranberries, walnuts and extra onion smile I like nice firm stuffing because the boy and i like to have it cold in sandwiches the next day

Gravy is the obligatory Worcester (makes it into lots of my cooking) and juniper berries!

SacreBlue is the secret ingredient in your stuffing your gravy? If so you are definitely my mother! If not, splash some gravy over your stuffing if you are cooking it in a separate tin. Works a treat!

My secret gravy ingredient is redcurrant jelly in the roasting tin. I also use soy sauce or a very small amount of sweet balsamic vinegar instead of gravy browning

PipkinsPal Fri 10-May-13 15:07:42

Boil the kettle. I use value gravy granules and add a sauce to it. Ie mint sauce if it is lamb, apple sauce if pork or redcurrant sauce if red meat. Usually just leave it as it is at it's only me eating it.

WilsonFrickett Fri 10-May-13 15:05:07

I just deglaze the pan with a glass of something and a couple of small knobs of butter. I s'pose that's more a jus but we don't believe in them in our house so it's a mid-week gravy. I too freeze leftovers. I freeze everything that isn't nailed down, tbh.

carriedawayannie Fri 10-May-13 12:49:01

Thansk for the replies. Onion gravy sounds great and will go well with told in the hole I'm planning mid week.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 10-May-13 08:38:35

If your gravy tastes good but looks insipid, add a drop or two of gravy browning.Tiny amounts though!

nagynolonger Fri 10-May-13 08:34:36

I make enough for 2 days if we are having leftovers on Monday.

Always make onion gravy to go with sausages or pies but sometimes make it with veg water and bisto if we have chicken midweek.

SacreBlue Fri 10-May-13 08:32:50

<in best Darth Vadar voice> westmoreland "I am your mother!" grin

I also have two secret ingredients in my gravy <smug> (and stuffing AIG - only told my DM about the stuffing ones as she doesn't really like stuffing but ate loads of mine this Christmas <even smugger> and I needed her secret porridge recipe as I get a barrage of complaints from DS that my porridge is "wick compared to Nanny's" sad

Ps <in whispery voice> I always use Knott stock pot chicken when making Tom Yum soup ;)

snoworneahva Fri 10-May-13 07:00:21

What does everyone do when they make real gravy, I only started eating meat a year ago and I think I must be missing something as I don't find making gravy it to be a big job. It takes me no more than 5 mins - while the meat is resting, I follow HFH approach, make it in the roasting tin and just add stuff to taste, then strain through a sieve. Now I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong - I have never had anyone else's gravy including Bisto before! confused

sashh Fri 10-May-13 01:52:19

When I roast lamb there is a fatty jelly left in the sc which I pour off and freeze in small batches.

I use that, a bit of flour, water and an oxo cube.

Iwantmybed Thu 09-May-13 23:23:42

Bisto best.
There's no comparison. Fact.

not tried it myself yet but DM informed me recently that she now swears by chucking a knorr stock pot (as seen on the cringy adverts) and a splash of whatever booze she is drinking at the time in with whatever she is cooking that requires gravy mid week. DM is unfortunately usually right about these things.

DM also makes stupendously good gravy from scratch at the weekends with the roast and therefore also is considered to have high gravy standards.

vvviola Thu 09-May-13 23:20:16

I usually try to fry some onions in the pan I've used for the meat/sausages/whatever. Then I add bisto blush - at least with the onions, pan scrapings etc, it tastes a little less bisto-like & more like gravy I make for a full roast.

SacreBlue Thu 09-May-13 23:16:57

Like vikings I make loads at one go and freeze for specific friend who asks for full gravy boat to herself and a take home portion every time she comes here for dinner later

Startail Thu 09-May-13 23:14:54

Bisto made with boring old tap water.

Swiss veggi stock powder if it's sheepheard's pie or *mince and noodles and just needs moistening a bit.

* I chuck in black bean sauce and mushrooms and peppers after taking some out for fuss pot.

snoworneahva Thu 09-May-13 23:06:51

I make gravy, with meat bits, booze and butter, maybe some double cream and some chicken stock or we go without and add flavour with butter.

WeAllHaveWings Thu 09-May-13 22:53:34

Bistro here too. don't like the chicken gravy, but their turkey gravy and caramelised onion gravy are nice.

<lines up in front of firing squad with Remus>

motherofvikings Thu 09-May-13 22:36:38

I always make a bucket load of gravy when I do a roast and then freeze leftovers in icecube trays.
I just defrost/ reheat when we want mid week gravy. smile

Beamur Thu 09-May-13 22:34:44

My DP has stumbled across a recipe that makes a nice gravy with mushrooms - ideal with meat or veggie meals.
I try and freeze leftovers, but DP does most of the cooking and turns his nose up at instant! (I'll eat it though)

Bisto - so shoot me. I used to lovingly make a veggie one with onions, a roux, port and Marmite - but the dds prefer Bisto so Bisto it is now!

BlueSkySunnyDay Thu 09-May-13 20:19:51

Meat juice (even if just sausages) plus oxo - I think gravy granules are the work of the devil. With sausages I use onion in the gravy too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now