Talk to me about Gnocchi

(58 Posts)
iamnowawhaticallmother Thu 09-May-13 14:08:01

I am OBSESSED with Gnocchi. It is my absolute favourite food. Began obsession when served it in Rome in a simple tomato sauce - couldn't have been more simple. The best thing I have ever eaten. Obviously that was fresh Gnocchi.

So I have three questions...
1/ Have you come across any good fresh or dried Gnocchi at any of the major supermarkets?
2/ What can you have with Gnocchi that isn't tomato sauce/ chopped tomatoes or Pesto?
3/ Any general Gnocchi tips?!

Anyone else out there as obsessed as me?

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Wed 29-May-13 23:08:10

Thanks Miffy, that's great to know. Obviously it's very quick to cook anyway but it's great if you want to stop wastage - one packet usually far too much for me and ds/ dh.

theboutiquemummy Wed 29-May-13 18:47:58

I make a lamb casserole and drop a good handful in instead of dumplings it's delish or fry them and toss them through a salad

Bubble brain, I need that recipe please grin

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 28-May-13 06:56:32

It is great for freezing - I cook it straight from frozen and it only takes a few minutes so it is one of the quickest meals I can do! Just wait for it to rise to the top of the pan of boiling water and it is done.

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Tue 28-May-13 00:33:22

What's gnocchi like for freezing?

I'll PM you when I'm on the computer (on phone app right now & it will take forever to type!)

MaryIngalls Sun 26-May-13 22:52:38

Mrs HelsBels we love mushrooms and we love gnocchi...please could you share your recipe?

I've got a recipe for a mushroom sauce which I used to do with gnocchi all the time but DH hates mushrooms. hmm

Iwantmybed Sat 25-May-13 16:10:10

I have it with roasted pepper and tomato sauce mixed with soft cheese. But now started to use it instead of pasta with Bolognaise and chilli.

WeAreEternal Sat 25-May-13 15:51:25

Gnocchi mac and cheese is very popular in our house.

Have only ever stirred it into a strong cheese/garlicky sauce and finished it off in the oven. Had it like this in a little deli with just a couple of tables in Sorrento, 'twas heavenly <drools>

happybubblebrain Tue 21-May-13 21:16:30

Try it with gorgonzola and baked pears. Sounds weird but the taste blows your head off.

sarahandduck Tue 21-May-13 21:12:59

I can recommend Nigella's mustard pork chops served with gnocchi as she suggests. We had it tonight...it is divine!

starvaciousgal.com/wordpress/2011/04/19/mustard-pork-chops-gnocchi-in-cider-sauce/

iamnowawhaticallmother Tue 21-May-13 15:48:21

ah I see... i thought it was some fancy thing.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Tue 21-May-13 11:59:40

Sage butter -= butter with sage in it. You just tear a few leaves and lob it in.

iamnowawhaticallmother Tue 21-May-13 11:18:01

I can not find sage butter anywhere! It sounds gorgeous.

They do lovely small gnocchi in Waitrose.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Yesterday I made 2 steak medallions, some Asparagus and fried the gnocchi in garlic oil as you suggested. Was delicious!!

Am going to try other suggestions too!

Merguez Tue 14-May-13 20:29:32

sage butter - all you need

lolalotta Tue 14-May-13 17:57:40

I've never tried it!?!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 13-May-13 21:08:23

Oh yes, Aldi's cost 89p or some such. smile

fuzzpig Mon 13-May-13 15:42:52

Aww SOH that's cute grin my first two word combo was "more cheese" grin (I've not changed much in 26 years, clearly...)

I have gnocchi in the fridge with a pot of arrabbiata sauce <lazy>

daisydoodoo Mon 13-May-13 14:48:20

dd1 loves gnocci. Her favourite is with fresh green pesto and shaved parmesan.
other favourites are the tomato and marscapone sauce (usually cheat and buy the ones in the chiller at supermarket), or just melted butter with garlic and sage leaves.
I once made a sauce with butternut squash, and rosemary, this was blended and smooth and then bacon lardons fried and mixed in. i lost the recipe and have never been able to make i the same since. I could really eat some gnocci right now.

ShowOfHands Mon 13-May-13 14:42:50

One of 20mo ds's first two word combinations was ''sagne gnocchi'. It's one of his favourite foods. Obviously the same as lasagne but with gnocchi instead of the pasta sheets.

We love gnocchi and actually buy it from aldi now.

Teapot13 Mon 13-May-13 14:37:33

I never had much success making my own but these with ricotta are simple and delicious. Oddly DD doesn't like them, though.

http://www.deliciousdays.com/archives/2009/05/19/15-minutes-to-fame-gnocchi-for-beginners-and-braggarts/

MildredH Fri 10-May-13 18:24:05

Lulubell- REALLY? this is a revelation! Saturday nights supper is sorted. DH is away for the night & doesn't share the gnocchi love with me!

Annunziata Italy Fri 10-May-13 15:27:56

I have never been able to find shop bought gnocchi that is the proper size, it is all far too big.

Apart from tomato sauce, I like best to cook onion, garlic, broccoli, currants and some cooking water from the gnocchi, and then just turn the heat up really high and add the gnocchi when the water evaporates.

The DC like gnocchi with a chicken and pepper sauce too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now