14yo dd has decided to be a vegetarian-help me feed her

(36 Posts)

I'm a meat with everything kind of gal blush.

So far I've cooked the poor girl beans on toast, pasta with tom sauce and pasta with pesto. Not a veg in site!!

My mind is blank.

Any ideas and recipes will be much appreciated as really don't want to go down the supplements route.

She's a good eater who will try most things, although nothing spicy.

I have quorn mince and chicken pieces in freezer.

Drladybird Wed 08-May-13 12:47:54

Thanks for the recommendation Aunt. I'm glad that you have enjoyed the recipes. Here is the link to my Broccoli and Rice Cakes blog
I would also recommend the HFW Veg cookery book as this has recipes that everyone can enjoy and they are usually quite straightforward to make.

I turned veggie at 12 and remember my mum struggling to adjust her cooking. My brother then also turned veggie and so now our family get togethers are often exclusively veggie food. Hopefully you can find some dishes that everyone enjoys. This lentil bolagnese is normally enjoyed by meat eaters and veggies too.
Good luck!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-May-13 18:48:18

You could use soya mince, it's got more iron than quorn.

You can bulk cook pulses and lentils and then freeze them in ziplock bags. I do them in my slow cooker.

DewDr0p Wed 08-May-13 22:12:30

I'd second the recommendation of the River Cottage Veg Everyday book.

Nigella's veggie chilli (the one with cornbread topping, although I never bother with the actual topping lol) is fabulous.

Ottolenghi recipes are amazing. My dcs love this hearty soup which I make quite a lot. More of a treat is his vegetarian paella Loads of his recipes are on the Guardian website - worth a browse.

You can also make pasta pesto much healthier with the addition of some green veg (broccoli, peas, broad or french beans, sauteed courgette all work well) and prawns or salmon if she is eating fish.

ThePskettiIncident Wed 08-May-13 23:01:21

A really easy one to make is a puff pastry slice/tart. Sheet of puff pastry, add a little olive oil, tomato purée, onions, peppers, Aubergine, mushrooms etc and feta cubes. Season and bung in the oven. Serve with salad. You can put most things on a topping and make your own base sauce too.

Quiche is good to master and again can add lots of veg to it.

I also like to make a vegan bean and root veg casserole: fry off onions and garlic, add pint of stock and chopped root veg (carrots, swede, potatoes, sweet potato) cook for half hour, then add some lentils or beans and a tin if tomatoes, cook for another 15 mins and serve with crusty bread.

It needs stirring to stop it sticking, but such a lovely warming meal.

Habbibu Wed 08-May-13 23:09:56

If she likes Indian food, I can really recommend the Prashad cookbook. Yy to river cottage book, and look up ottolenghi's new vegetarian column in the guardian. Post punk kitchen blog has some really lovely vegan food.

Habbibu Wed 08-May-13 23:10:52

Just saw the nothing spicy bit - still use prashad, but cut the chillies dowm drastically!

I am sorry, but if she is mature enough to make the decision to be a vegetarian, she should be mature enough to cook her own food. At 14, this is perfectly feasible and time for her to learn to cook her own meals, rather than expect her mum to do it for her.

Cake tin sized Yorkshire pudding filled with toasted veg and either cheese or tomato sauce or gravy.

Spicy bean casserole.

Vegetable curry, dhal and rice/naan

Cheese and lentil pie.

Drladybird, we're omnivores (me and 11yo DD), but we often eat veggie and I made your cannelini bean stew last night.
I served it with green olive and tallegio scones and roast cherry tomatoes.
We loved it.
I'll add it to my blog soon with a link to yours if that's ok?

Drladybird Thu 09-May-13 21:22:37

Hi Netto, I'm pleased you enjoyed the cannelini stew. Thanks for letting me know. Those scones sound amazing! my little lady loves olives so I've been meaning to make something olive related. Yes, link up the blogs and so I can check out your blog too...

JamNan Sat 11-May-13 10:30:41

I recommend Hugh F-W's River Cottage Veg Every Day! which has really inspiring recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now