Feeling worse on NF days?

(3 Posts)
ElenaLaBuena Wed 18-Jun-14 22:47:58

Hey. Am new to the site and in my first week of 5:2. I have done both fast days and felt great on both days; energetic, alert, happy. However on both days after fasting I have felt awful. I have been tired, tearful, short tempered and generally out of sorts. It could be coincidence although it is unusual for me to feel like this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Many people take 2-3 weeks to get used to fasting. I haven't heard of emotional upsets, but emotions might be affected by the endocrine system adjusting during the first few weeks.

I recommend:

- On FDs, concentrate on protein and veg, low GI meals.
- Go to bed in good time

- On 1st NFD morning, don't exercise or do chores before breakfast.
Instead, have breakfast with protein and complex carbs, e.g
. porridge oats with almonds and cinammon or
. wholegrain toast with eggs / pnut butter / cheese / marmite

Avoid sugary cereals or too much fruit for NFD breakfast, as this may cause an insulin spike followed by a crash later.
This could cause emotional upset

- Try to eat nutritious meals on 1st NFD, avoiding snacks, sweet treats and alcohol. Have those on a later NFD if you wish.

ElenaLaBuena Sat 28-Jun-14 06:50:08

Thanks for the reply. I have been sticking to protein and Veg on FD but I think maybe eating too much for breakfast on NFD. Now in my 3rd week I am noticing that bread on NFDs is making me feel rubbish after eating so I am avoiding it. This week I have felt more normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now