Breastfeeding

(99 Posts)
youaremychocolatecake Tue 07-Jan-14 20:25:00

I know from reading posts and t'net in general this is a controversial subject and not recommended but are there are breast feeding mummies here successfully doing 5:2 on an increased fast day allowance? Not actually doing it before anyone jumps on me. My weight is falling off naturally so far. I am just interested to know x

Antidote Mon 17-Mar-14 15:03:51

Marking place.coming back later once kids are asleep....

MetellaEstMater Mon 17-Mar-14 16:57:35

It's going really well for me. No supply problems now. Today's a fast day despite the fact I'm on holiday! I figured I am only a few weeks in so it would be very easy to put on the weight I've lost so far.

somewherebecomingrain Thu 27-Mar-14 07:04:25

Hello all. Fasting today. Seem to have developed a double cream habit which must be bf-related. Downed a whole 300ml pot with Splenda and raspberries - ever done that bigchoc ?

Anyone else have crazzzzy eating at times, because you are lactating?

How is everyone?

Somewhere Cream, not so much. A 750 ml tub of Haagen Daz ice - used to be my normal pud !
I'm addicted to pnut or almond butters - <head pokes out of pnut bitter jar>
Also cheese, especially the 400g baked fondant for 2 (which I eat alone)
<iPad drips drool>

Confession: I've no DCs, so no excuses like you ladies blush

somewherebecomingrain Fri 28-Mar-14 17:18:24

You've got an excuse BC - you are formidably fit and active!

X

MetellaEstMater Fri 28-Mar-14 19:01:20

Oh yes, definitely. The day before yesterday I could have eaten the entire contents of our cupboard I was so hungry but I was particularly craving sugar. This wouldn't have been that unusual a few weeks ago but one effect of 5:2 for me has been finding sweet things much too sweet and anything processed almost plasticy. Didn't stop me devouring the peanut butter twix my SIL sent me from the States! Then yesterday DD just wanted to feed and feed so in the end it was good I'd eaten over my TDEE!

FD today and really struggling for the first time since starting this WOL. I have NO idea how I'm going to cope with just 500 calories when I stop bfing!

LIDLrichard Thu 03-Apr-14 16:07:49

I'm bumping this thread to ask breastfeeding 5:2ers a question...didn't want to start my own thread while this one exists!

I'm ebf-ing a big chunky 6-month old--I'm only 10 or so lbs fluffier than I'd like but this tenner seems very hard to shift...I have a feeling I'm one of those "dairy cows" who keep an extra bit of chub no matter what while bfing just in case of a famine or what have you.

Anyway just started 5:2 this week and hoping that will chip away at it. Have any of you done this while feeding and not seen results for this reason?

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 03-Apr-14 17:30:28

I'm bf. but dd is over a year now so I'm not sure it counts as she only has about 4feeds in 24hrs.
I started 5:2 when she was 3 mo. I just did "normal" 5:2. Didn't increase my cals on a FD and I lost weight fairly quickly.no apparent effect on milk supply. I have been off the wagon for too long and the weight has crept up, so back fasting today.
I've always taken my vitamin d though,

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 03-Apr-14 17:35:17

The thing that makes it hard for me is not that eating gives me more energy, but that's it's hard to apply myself in the way quoted to break through the challenge of a FD IYSWIM.
So when I'm tired nearly dead from night feeds I cba to think about a FD, and I comfort eat. Whereas if I do actually fast I feel better.
So I think 5:2 helps.
But it requires a bit of mental application. It's worth it though. I get a fresh, alert feeling when I do manage a FD.

eisbaer Thu 03-Apr-14 23:09:41

Is anyone out there ebf and doing 16:8, I started 2 days ago. Feel worse in evenings as it's the evening snacking while bf that I miss. I eat between 12-8. Mornings till lunch are easy it's, like, just now that is a killer...hoping to lose sth, but haven't really watched my eating between 12-8 apart from no sugar

somewherebecomingrain Thu 03-Apr-14 23:35:22

lid read back over this thread - I and many others did just that, ebf and full 5:2.

My body and mind eventually rebelled against 2 hardcore fasts a week but although I fell off the wagon I have never totally stopped fasting as it feels good basically.

But I think it is harder when bf. I comfort myself that if I did it for 8 months while ebf then I will find it really easy when dd is off the boob.

Need to go over to feeding chat for that challenge I guess. I will report back once I've stopped bf.

LIDLrichard Fri 04-Apr-14 08:24:34

Thanks AmandaClarke and somewherebecoming I have read the thread, just wondering if there were any people who it didn't work for while bfing, IYSWIM?
Glad to hear more success stories though, even if it is harder. We'll see how I get on.

somewherebecomingrain Wed 23-Apr-14 20:27:31

Just want to report back.

Bf dramatically reduced now.

Did a fast on Monday and it was pretty easy. The next day I wasn't especially hungry, no more than usual, unlike my crazy hunger from the EBF days. It was more like how others describe NFDs.

So far so good.

Only hitch is I think fasting makes me produce more/nicer milk so it put the weaning into reverse! She was guzzling away.

dizhin79 Wed 30-Apr-14 01:52:04

just wanting to add, I haven't found a negative affect on my milk so far, granted it's only my second week of fasts. So far so good though grin

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Wed 30-Apr-14 09:27:25

Checking back too. dizhin good to hear your milk supply is still abundant. I'm in week 5 and milk is certainly not lacking over here, baby is still eating for England!

Labracadabra Wed 30-Apr-14 11:04:05

Milk supply all good here too. Been 5:2 (occasionally 4:3) since early Jan when DD2 was 8 weeks old. Now she's almost 6 months, still EBF and on the 75th centile so I think it's safe to say you cal follow this WOE whilst bf! I've lost almost 2 stone and have gone past my target (pre-preg) weight.

Helliecopter Wed 30-Apr-14 12:13:30

Good to hear you're all being successful! My DD2 is 10 months now and only really feeds in the evening/overnight/first thing in the morning. I've only ever done 500 cals though - didn't drop it to allow for feeding cals, but I only started 5:2 when she was about 7 months old and weaning was well and truly on its feet.
Labracadabra - that is brilliant!!!

somewherebecomingrain Wed 30-Apr-14 14:57:59

I think it might actually Boost/enrich my millk. You can imagine why from an evolutionary Perspective.

dizhin79 Thu 01-May-14 04:14:24

Good to hear from others bf-ing and 5:2-ing. labra that's great weight loss you must be super proud! i'm hoping for a stone by the end of may, so far 4lb down grin

itsmeeecathy Sun 11-May-14 03:49:49

Hi all , feeling inspired by all your ebf/5:2 stories! I previously lost weight following 5:2 and remember feeling really mentally alert following a FD and 2 pound a week losses. During my preg I put on 2 and a half stone and am feeling miserable with it. Since I lost my excess weight and was 100% happy before getting pregnant it seems like such a mountain to climb!
Encouraged to start now! Am ebf which I'm hoping will speed things up a bit!

For BFers, especially EBFers, we recommend starting at 750-1000 cal FDs instead of 500 cals.
You can reduce gradually to 500-750 cal FDs, but feel free to resume 1000 FDs to cope with growth spurts, or anytime you feel over-stressed.

Also, if you have lost some weight, you have less fat reserves available for easy fuel. So, you may need to eat more on FDs.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Mon 12-May-14 14:09:40

Just checking in here, I'd love to see this thread staying alive!

Been doing 5:2 for just over 6 weeks, I've lost about 9 pounds. Which I've been pleased with, BUT--the last couple of weeks I've found the day or two after a FD really rough. Feeling exhausted and depleted and so FECKING HUNGRY. Oh and seriously bitchy. Like PMT to the nth degree. I'm breastfeeding around 6-8 times a day, DD is 7.5 months. I couldn't understand why I've been feeling so shit--I find FDs a doddle and eat loads of veg and protein and good fats, everything fresh and unprocessed (mostly).. Sleeping well too. So WTF? I'm taking on board BCF's suggestion that since I don't have loads of weight to lose I up my cals to 1000 as there is not as much in the fat tank! Gonna start tomorrow. Anyone else having a similar experience? Maybe I'm underestimating just how much bfing is sucking the life out of me burning.

dizhin79 Mon 12-May-14 17:50:45

maybe check what you've been eating on the nfd's is there a common link that could be affecting your mood?

I'm ebf-ing a 10 week old so I'll be up for keeping this thread alive. I had a shattered day yesterday, had to have a nap which I haven't been doing since giving birth. I've been fasting (750-1000cal) for about 3weeks now and finding it ok. have lost about 8lb so far grin

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Mon 12-May-14 18:21:05

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat--I'm eating to my TDEE, and like I said it's pretty much healthy balanced food. It seems to hit hardest after my second fast day. Ah well. I'll do 900-1000 cal FDs and see how I go. That's inspiring that you've lost weight doing a higher cal fd! Can I ask how much you're trying to shed? I'm 5'4 and 10 stone down from 10.9. Ideally want to get down to 9.5 or so but I'm a muscly mesomorph so that's a really lean weight for me.. Might wait til dd is weaned before trying to get that ripped grin well done on squeezing a nap in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now