Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stopped the Depo injection - how long until it wears off?

(10 Posts)
CordeliaFoxx Thu 09-Jul-15 21:44:44

I've been in the Depo injection for 6 years, had my last one 2 months ago as I'm worried about the long term effects (I'm mid 30s).

How long until it wears off? The side effects make me a hormonal stroppy cow, and I'm sure I'm hell to live with. I have not had a period in 6 years if that makes a difference.

CordeliaFoxx Fri 10-Jul-15 00:41:08

Anyone?

dementedpixie Fri 10-Jul-15 00:59:20

Well I have read that it can take up to a year or more for fertility to return.

GreenTee Fri 10-Jul-15 01:02:52

I had only one shot in 2008 not long after my DS was born. I have been TTC baby #2 since 2009 with no luck. I wholeheartedly believe it's because of the depo injection. I think it massively messed with my body. I have never had a proper cycle since either. I hope you have much more luck but my GP said it could take between 18 - 24 months for it to be completely out of the system.

mrsg1888 Fri 10-Jul-15 02:12:09

I was on the depo injection from the age of 17-21. When I came off to start a family we thought it would be quick as we were young. I got a normal period within about 6 weeks but After 6 months of not conceiving we started to track ovulation. I didn't fall pregnant till almost 10 months after that.
Opted for the cerazette pill since dd was born and have fallen pregnant within 2months this time round

CordeliaFoxx Fri 10-Jul-15 08:34:30

I'm not looking to conceive, will be looking at sterilisation, I'm just fed up with not feeling in control of my moods etc. Thanks for the answers.

AvocadoLime Fri 10-Jul-15 08:46:31

Oh good, when I saw this thread I thought you were coming off to conceive and I winced for you! I was off the Depo for about 6 months when I ended a relationship and then went on the pill. I didn't have a period in that time, starting the pill brought back my period but I'm not sure how fertile I actually was. When I Googled I was angry to see that it took some women up to 3 years to get their fertility back and a few even longer (such a long term effect wasn't mentioned to me when I got it!).

CordeliaFoxx Fri 10-Jul-15 10:06:33

I had 1 Depo shot before DS1 and that took 5 months for me to have a period, after being on it for 6 years since DS3 was born, I guess it could take some time.

Starbelle Sun 09-Aug-15 09:55:47

When I came off it, it too roughly three weeks for my moods to ease and about six months for my happy self to return. My first (very light!) period was six months after so I think that's perhaps no coincidence!

Star.

Nottalotta Wed 09-Sep-15 13:38:17

I was on it for about 8 years i think. It took 8 months aftercwearing off (so 11 months after last jab) to have a period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now