NCO audition results

(100 Posts)
cordobasarah Wed 04-Dec-13 23:00:44

Has anyone out there had their results yet? My daughter auditioned for the first time this year and is very tense about the results. I know they will be here soon but has anyone heard already? Thanks!

Moominmammacat Sun 15-Dec-13 12:23:24

Nyo does it by email. Far better

DarkHorse2013 Mon 16-Dec-13 14:03:19

Well the envelope is here (hurray!) but unfortunately I'm under strict instructions not to open it until daughter is home from school...... I'm going to have to put it somewhere where I can't see it or temptation is going to get the better of me!
Will update later - hope everyone else's results arrive today too - good luck!

DarkHorse2013 Mon 16-Dec-13 17:07:33

Worth the wait - offered a place in Main Orchestra, she's so happy!
Anyone else still waiting had any results?

FordPerfect Mon 16-Dec-13 17:18:18

Congratulations to your DD.

maggiethecat Mon 16-Dec-13 17:23:14

yes!!! happy for you and dd.

sugaraddict Mon 16-Dec-13 17:42:38

Fantastic news Darkhorse!
Unfortunately we're still waiting here and apparently there's no one in the office who can help us until later in the week. I think DD is getting beyond caring

DarkHorse2013 Mon 16-Dec-13 17:46:08

Thank you all!
Sugaraddict I can't believe you're still waiting - your poor DD sad
I really hope it turns up tomorrow with good news - keeping my fingers crossed for her.

GampyWabbit Tue 17-Dec-13 13:07:24

Brilliant news!

It's the first time dd has auditioned for under 11 or Orchestra and she is understandably very excited. Now, I have a few questions - if people have auditioned before, have your dcs always had a place, or have they sometimes been declined? Have any been successful every year? What level are they or were they playing at each year??

I am interested as I know a child who is playing at a slightly higher level than dd, who was in the nco last yr, but didn't receive a place for the same orchestra as dd... Strange

DarkHorse2013 Tue 17-Dec-13 13:45:40

They must have something in particular that they are looking for, and it's obviously not always the level / grade that they are playing at that gets them the place. Daughter has been lucky enough to be in each orchestra, and while her grade standard probably was +1 each time round, her actual playing standard and experience needed to have developed much more.

There have certainly been some surprises and disappointments this time round that I know of - one from last year who is playing at a very high standard who wasn't offered a place. It seems to be all based on the actual audition process, so previous NCO orchestral participation perhaps isn't taken into account, and I know there are mixed views on this depending on whether you are auditioning for the first time or an existing NCO member.

It's a pretty tough process and I know a few really good young musicians that won't even attempt it!

NomDeClavier Tue 17-Dec-13 15:52:52

Congratulations to those with places grin

As the one who was auditioning I don't think they do take previous participation into account, unlike NYWO which is where I went on to. My second NYWO audition was a disaster and the director just looked at me and said 'I know you can play much better than that'. I also fluffed the sight reading which was a piece we'd played the previous year. I had a temp of 102 that day but I didn't tell them that.

NCO on the other hand, from memory, I had around a 50% success rate and definitely had a break of a year despite what I remember as a fairly good audition, so I think it really does come down to performance on the day and my teacher said I was well above the 'expected' level each time.

maggiethecat Thu 19-Dec-13 00:28:08

can't remember where I heard this - may have been anecdotally from Clarkson or Price - they are looking for that special something confused which probably goes beyond a high grade standard.

GampyWabbit Thu 19-Dec-13 09:39:01

Ok - good to know. Dd has a 'flair' and is definitely more of a performer than the more advanced child who didn't get in.

Now, I need to send the acceptance form back - should I send it recorded or will it be ok normal delivery?!

GampyWabbit Thu 19-Dec-13 10:44:57

Having said that, other child is amazing and it's a big shock to me that he didn't get in.

sugaraddict Mon 23-Dec-13 13:30:37

Finally managed to get an answer today as letter has been lost in post. After all that stress you can imagine DD is very disappointed only to be on reserve list for U13's. Have complained about process as would hate for any other child to have to go through those extra weeks of waiting.

DarkHorse2013 Tue 24-Dec-13 00:28:26

Sorry to hear that your news (when you eventually received it!) wasn't better, and hope your daughter gets over her disappointment. It is an awful process, ridiculous to send results by post this close to Christmas, and I have no idea why they didn't email like they did last year. Good that you have complained, I will be too, even though this is daughter's last year so we won't have to go through it again.

NannyPeach Sun 10-Aug-14 16:15:15

Nco concert dress help required please!!!

What shoes are suitable? They seem to have very specific requirements and we're trying to find the right shoes for the concert and school!

maggiethecat Mon 11-Aug-14 11:40:42

I don't seem to recall getting info this year. Emailed Geraldine and she confirmed same as last year - 3/4 sleeve white blouse, plain black shoes and white socks.
Last year they were very strict with shoes because of big 35th gala concert, so no embellishments etc.
This year perhaps not so strict and plain school shoes should do.

NannyPeach Mon 11-Aug-14 12:46:49

Dd has clarks Una Ivy shoes - do you think they will be plain enough?! There is a small bow on the front.

Have also made sure all tops and leggings fully cover her bottom!!! wink

maggiethecat Mon 11-Aug-14 13:29:24

Small bow should be fine plus the skirts are quite long and will probably cover detail.

NannyPeach Mon 11-Aug-14 13:49:52

If you get a chance to google una Ivy - please let me know what you think! I think they should be fine, but I don't know how strict they are for under 11 orchestra!

Is anyone beginning to think about auditioning for next year?!

maggiethecat Mon 11-Aug-14 14:16:38

had a look and they look ok. if they wanted flat pumps free of all embellishment they would have to specify that.

maggiethecat Mon 11-Aug-14 14:23:13

beginning to wonder if I've misplaced info - did you get specific info on concert wear or was this contained in an email/newsletter

NannyPeach Mon 11-Aug-14 14:40:53

I'm looking at the pages of info about the whole course - includes information on accommodation, personal kit & clothing etc.

For concert wear it says: plain, white 3/4 length blouse, shoes must be plain, lightweight, black slip-ins without any metallic embellishments, large bows or ribbons.

Also has info advising that bare midriffs and clothes that expose 'builders bums' not being acceptable for day to day wear! grin

maggiethecat Mon 11-Aug-14 14:59:40

Nanny, I definitely don't have that. Can you give me the approximate correspondence date and I will ask them to email me copy.

It would be easy to assume that everything is as last year but there may be course specific info.

thanks

maggiethecat Mon 11-Aug-14 15:08:27

Nanny, realise that info was sent out in January by email and I do have it. You can tell how much attention we have paid to the requirements contained therein!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now