Ideas for an easy-ish duet, anyone?

(12 Posts)
Tingalingle Wed 16-Jan-13 22:45:58

Grr, typed this and seem to have lost it. Or posted it somewhere odd. Not sure which.

DD has been 'volunteered' for her school talent show and has to sing a duet with her friend (apparently she didn't get to choose what to do, so I'm just glad it's singing rather than dance/hopscotch/martial arts!).

Any ideas? Both girls can sing, luckily, but whereas DD has two modes -- in-yer-face belting, and sweetish soprano -- the friend is quite a mellow alto, so they sound a bit... odd, put together. Like trying to find a tune for trumpet-with-cello.

They're 10 and 11, so needs to be easy-ish, and easy to get hold of!

I'm sure there must be something that has a question and answer, or a verse each, that DD would pass as being a duet? Disney? Lloyd Webber? Just can't think what.

Theas18 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:41:42

Any dream will do from Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat. Nice tune and descant that is very singable.

Tingalingle Sat 19-Jan-13 20:35:25

Ah -- DD says that would be a good one if the friend agrees!

soda1234 Mon 21-Jan-13 21:17:21

Sorry if this is too late. My dd and her friend recently sang "What is this feeling" , the loathing song, from Wicked. She is a soprano and her friend an alto, it isn't easy though and they are 15/16 yo, may be worth a look.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 21-Jan-13 21:28:25

Loathing is quite tricky as is For Good (common Gcse duet). What about Naughty from Matilda- they could do a verse each then chorus together and possibly cut the middle bit.

Theas18 Mon 21-Jan-13 21:35:42

Agree the wicked duets are not easy.

Tingalingle Mon 21-Jan-13 22:32:45

Not too late at all, and thanks for the ideas. Agree that the Loathing song is great but a bit tricky (DS did rather a splendid Elphaba on stage a couple of years ago, but he was older.

Off to look up Naughty...

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 21-Jan-13 22:57:18

If they are good at harmonies they could do When I Grow Up but that's probably best not attempted without someone to help like a music teacher.

MordionAgenos Tue 22-Jan-13 11:56:35

I'd say that Loathing was much easier to sing than Naughty. DD2 sang loathing with another girl at a showcase last autumn, and she's doing Naughty in a festival next month. Loathing is very wordy, but the vocal parts are much more straightforward, both note-wise and rhythmically, than Naughty. And of course, Loathing is designed as a duet, which Naughty isn't. For reference, DD2 and her friend are both 9.

When I grow up is a fabulous song - but yes, again, it's trickier than you might think......

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 22-Jan-13 12:17:33

Dd recently sang Quiet at a charity show. Now that's wordy!!!! The timing is very tricky too.

I know naughty isn't designed as a duet but I liked how they performed it at the Olivier's as a quartet. It sits nicely in the voice too.

MordionAgenos Tue 22-Jan-13 12:27:47

DD2 is doing Quiet at the festival too! She's a glutton for punishment. grin

Tingalingle Wed 23-Jan-13 13:26:20

Ho hum.

Given DD is currently rejecting everything the friend suggests, and vice versa, I think it'll be a duet that goes

What shall we sing?
I dunno
How about this?
Nah, that's boring...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now