Help

(3 Posts)
allthingsred Mon 24-Oct-16 00:39:24

I want to leave my job. I actually really enjoy it but it's very very tiring (I do waking nights ) & the time I should be at home enjoying my children I'm sleeping or shouting at them to be quiet so I can sleep or just to dazed to play with them.
Once a week I am expected to finish my shift have 2 hours be back in work for training have another 2 hrs then back to do another waking night.
I have a more family friendly job lined up but I have an issue.
On commencing my now employment I signed a contract talking about training costs & if we left within a year of completing them we would have to pay everything back. My manager at the time clarified by saying all training starts after your 6 mth probation. If I wanted to start earlier I could do at my own costs.
So I signed
Thus was 9 mths ago.
I officially have never received anything to say I had successfully completed my probation period.
I received an email asking me how I thought I was getting on but never received feedback myself.
On my 4th month here I was put on an nvq course & told it was mandatory
Also another course which we were given paperwork telling us was 10 weeks long
It turns out to be 6 months long
My old manager told me that the courses were actually funded by an outside agency at no personal cost to the home & the nvq I really should not have been put on before my probation period was complete.
As I want to leave I am really scared they will take my whole months wages to pay towards these courses. I can't afford to lose all my wages we have no savings and live on a day to day basis as it is.
Any advice on what to do or where I stand.
I could hand my notice in on payday (because I didn't hear back or have anything signed about my probation technically I presume I'm still on it, so would only have to give a week) but feel really icky about doing that. At the same time I don't feel like I have much choice when I need a months wages to pay my rent & feed my children. Any help or advice really gratefully received

m0therofdragons Mon 24-Oct-16 00:53:09

I think companies can assume permanent after the probation period so long as no concerns are raised so you don't necessarily sign anything new iyswim. Pretty crappy not to do a review but there are loads of rubbish employers. Re paying back - any idea how much? My parents charge employees who don't stay a year and have only had to enforce it once, which they did and it was paid. Again, fairly standard I'm afraid.

allthingsred Mon 24-Oct-16 01:25:33

At least 1500 I think (cost of nvq, the 2nd course is 400 on its own)
I really don't have it to pay back. & this company will definatly take it and would leave me with nothing. If I had savings it wouldn't be so bad but we really can't afford to lose a months income.
Would it go to small claims court & i coukd pay back in installments but to do that would take forever. The job I'm going to is nmw & much less hours (so less money ) but better for my family.
I feel like I'm being held hostage by this contract. I actually have panic attacks over the thought of it.
When I got the job I was so happy but it really lonely, and under apreciated. I miss my children & they miss me.
What happens if you don't work your notice period in a job? I've never done it before. But as I said every penny I earn is accounted for. Paying back that much is unrealistic & deeply unfair when we were made to start before the 6 mths we were verbally assured it would be before starting & also mislead about the length of the course time it takes to finish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now