Maternity pay dilemma...!!

(5 Posts)
BoogieBean Fri 08-May-15 22:13:34

Hi all

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice as I am in two minds at the moment. I am also going to post this on the pregnancy thread...

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant and I am really unhappy where I work. I work as a receptionist, however this is not your standard receptionist role (on my feet a lot of the time making teas/coffees, clearing up after the whole office washing up, loading/unloading dishwasher etc, constantly doing extra hours as supervisor is always on holiday). I feel more like an assistant rather than a receptionist.

I brought my maternity leave forward 1 month as I am so unhappy and struggling being on my feet all the time. I was signed off in Feb for a couple weeks for stress/anxiety relating to my job. Now, my dilemma...I do not want to go back to my current job after maternity leave but will do if I cannot find another job whilst on leave. My employer offers Enhanced Maternity Pay, where they pay 50% of your salary for 9 months with the incentive that you return to work for 6 months otherwise it will have to be repaid. I know this money would help me a hell of a lot, especially as this is my second child but I really do not want to go back for 6 months.

I'm stuck in two minds, I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Fri 08-May-15 22:20:02

6 months isn't long and will give you time.to look for something else?

KingOfTheStupids Fri 08-May-15 22:28:17

that 6 mths will fly by, especially if you use your accrued annual leave before you return.

EBearhug Fri 08-May-15 22:37:28

Go back for the 6 months, and use the time to fine-tune your CV, brush up any skills which might be a bit weak, and apply for other jobs. It will go by quickly enough.

BoogieBean Fri 08-May-15 22:57:50

Thank you for your replies smile EBearhug / Dragon that's a good idea. I'm working 3 days a week but things have gotten so bad since I started (nearly a year ago) and it looks like it's going to get even worse. King I get 12 days annual leave so I'll try and see how that works out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now