ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
You need a written formal job offer before you hand in your notice right?(37 Posts)
It's been years since I applied for and got a job so not sure what protocol is nowadays.
At the beginning of November I had an interview and was offered the job there & then verbally.
Didn't hear anything for 4 weeks so I rang them and yes, the job was still mine but they were sorting stuff.
I got a letter from their HR asking for documentation..all pretty standard stuff but it wasn't worded as a job offer.
I can't hand in my notice till I have this can I? Or can I?
I am willing to take a drop in pay because the hours are really good and would mean I won't have to shell out for childcare.
Still not heard from them.
Sticking to my current job, will have to find the money for childcare somehow.
I would think most employers if they didn't trust the potential employee to be telling the truth about their current salary would request the information as part of a reference check.
Most people don't move jobs for the same salary, though.
We ask to see people’s pay slips in order to match their current salary within a band - I don't think it's that odd a request.
You won't necessarily go in at the top of that band just because u have worked as a 7.
So band 5 about 20thous and band 6 about 26000 that may help to make you decide.
If your job is what I think it is.
You're going to be an independent supporter right?
It may have seemed like a fantastic opportunity, but surely you're rethinking things now with the additional information you have?
I wouldn't touch them, but if you're keen then as a pp advised , just respond to any request by asking to see a formal offer. Otherwise prepare for a lovely new role where they already know they can behave unprofessionally and unreasonably and you'll accept it. They're supposed to be wooing you! It's not going to improve once you've resigned from your current job and they know they have you.
What everyone else says.
I once had a phone offer of a job after interview. Their funding was pulled before I got any paperwork.
I really hope you didn't give them your payslip or you accepted a salary lower than what you are on.
They sound like an absolute bunch of muppets. Is it any wonder they are having trouble trying to recruit?
I would have lost interest by now.
So why would they need your pay slip? You're already above top of band.
Yes, they gave a broad range, band 5/6 was on the advert, when I've asked which it is, they say they don't know yet.
I'm a band 7 scale in my current job.
I presume it's based on experience.
See what I mean, confusing & odd.
You said they'd asked for your pay slip to decide what to pay you?
The salary is below my current wage.
It's a well established and reputable service across the UK. It's being set up in my area brand new.
I have been and looked around and it was awesome, really really exciting.
Another one here who thinks it is all raising lots of red flags. And agreed that it's outrageous to ask for pay slip. Please don't give it to them!
It's up to you if you tell them your current salary - I know lots of people these days ask you to tell them; but they don't want proof from payslips. And I don't know what happens if you don't tell them.
If you refused to give them your payslip (or indeed current salary) but negotiated on the basis of what they had said job was worth, and they then revoked their job offer, would you be that disappointed?
They want to see your wage slip before they make you a formal offer? Sounds very shoddy - I'd be really careful about leaving your existing job ...
I really would advise against pursuing this application any further, especially as you are already in paid work.
Start again from scratch.
If they are like this now, imagine what they would be like to work for.
Firstly you don't need a written offer to hand in your notice but as others have said, you'd be mad not to, especially with an organisation that sounds this disorganised.
With regard to the CRB check please make sure they are paying for it and not getting you to pay. However if they do ask you to pay then remember it is yours to posess not theirs.
You most definately should not show them your payslip nor do you need to disclose what you are currently earning. You negotiate with them a salary and benefits that you are worth for the job they have.
Finally this does sound a bit of a chaotic organisation and you should really think about whether they are an organisation you will be happy working in.
Good luck and keep us posted!
It does sound like they've jumped the gun by verbally offering you the job.
And WTF to the payslip request?? They pay you the going rate for the job/what you are worth to them, not the least they think they can get away with based on what you are on at the moment!
Do nothing, and to every request for info just say 'I can't do anything until I have a formal offer from you including salary.'
And consider yourself still on the market. Do you have any other interviews lined up?
They have asked for my wage slip to decide what they will pay me.
Errrr, no. They will pay you what you and they agree is reasonable. Your current wage is really none of their business, although it's usual to quote it when asked about salary expectations.
The red flags here are less about whether you resign without a formal offer and more about whether you would want to work for them at all. It sounds like they aren't making you an offer until they've interviewed everyone, possibly meaning if they find someone they like better they will ditch you.
I'm actually waiting on a formal job offer at the mo, it's taking ages because I was interviewed before there was any budget for the post and the hoops are taking longer than expected. There is no way I'd be hanging around for them if I didn't know the people personally. In your shoes I wouldn't want to have anything to do with this new firm, written offer or not.
My line of work might be quite different to yours, but I have never asked or have been asked for a wage slip to determine what I'll be paid.
Salary has always either been clear to me on application, or I have negotiated within a bracket given.
I understand they're doing checks, but they could still write an offer letter including this - don't most contracts stipulate that the offer is subject to things checking out? References etc?
If it is all so unknown, I wonder if they are fitting faces to positions and are possibly waiting for other interview candidates to accept roles before they can plan out the dept structure?
If that is the case, they shouldn't have verbally offered you a position until all the pieces were in place.
So they are going to pay you based on what you currently earn? If this is a 'new service' it sounds terribly disorganised & casual - I wouldn't want to risk giving up a secure job to go somewhere like that. Please think about it very carefully.
To clarify, it's a new service for which they need to employ a team of 10.
They have interviewed over November and December but have been unable to fill all jobs due to unsuitable applicants etc.
They are down to the last 2 interview dates last week.
Presuming they want all 10 staff recruited before getting the ball rolling with specifics.
They have my info to do a CRB they are on with that.
The salary was a broad number. They have asked for my wage slip to decide what they will pay me.
That was 2 weeks ago.
It just seems disjointed and while I understand why, to some degree, I still have red flags.
No, that isn't how private companies do things.
Please don't resign until you have a formal offer, in writing. If you have agreed a start date with them then it's even more important that they hurry up!
As an employer, I would definitely not hand in your notice until you have a written offer, including salary and start date.
We had a situation before Christmas where everything was approved to recruit a new member of staff, we made a job offer and then at the 11th hour, head office said we were only allowed to offer a 6 month contract.
Made us look extremely unprofessional but fortunately for the candidate he hadn't handed his notice in.
Anything could be going on behind the scenes at the new company.
I'd also be wary about the documentation they are asking for and be 100% clear that they are not going to approach your current employer for a reference at this point.
It's certainly not standard for a private sector organisation, just for a disorganised organisation, which could be anywhere.
Have you physically spoken to either HR or to the person who verbally offered you the job?
Given their vagueness thus far, I wouldn't resign, and would make sure the new place know you are unable to resign without a written job offer including salary, start date and other relevant details.
it sounds like the kind of offer that might fall through, so hang fire.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.