Are they allowed to say this in a job advert?

(37 Posts)
LaLaLeBouef Sun 15-Sep-13 15:32:16

"Thick Skinned with a liberal sense of humour and not easily offended."

Offended at what exactly? Are there Page 3 calendars lining the office?!

GrendelsMum Tue 17-Sep-13 13:04:42

Perhaps we should find out how liberal their sense of humour is.

I can apply, and spend the job interview laughing at the way men always sit with their legs apart, as though their bollocks are the size of grapefruit. Then I'll do a good long fart, apologise for the smell, and then say that on second thoughts, maybe the smell is the MS's armpits.

baffledmum Mon 16-Sep-13 22:27:43

I guess we could all apply on the basis that we are thick skinned etc and see how they short list? We could simply waste their time and see how thick skinned they turn out to be in return? Surely they'll have a liberal sense of humour and won't be easily offended?

prh47bridge Mon 16-Sep-13 22:24:38

They are referring to the fact that the national minimum wage is based on age. The minimum wage is currently £2.65 per hour for an apprentice in the first year of their apprenticeship or under the age of 19. In the second year the minimum wage would be between £3.68 and £6.19 per hour depending on age.

Minimum wage is age dependent. I suspect it has to do with that. Also apprenticeships are exempt from minimum wage if I remember correctly.

baffledmum Mon 16-Sep-13 22:03:55

Are they allowed to say that pay in year 2 is dependent on age? I thought that discrimation on age grounds IS illegal in many areas of employment including pay and benefits. Hope the legal experts are still out there!

My thoughts exactly unexpected.

Unexpected Mon 16-Sep-13 09:51:53

Sounds like a company to steer well clear of. Surely the point of an apprenticeship should be to learn a role, not to "create and manage the administrational spine" - whatever on earth that is? I strongly suspect there isn't even another administrator in the dept. Is it really realistic to think that someone prepared to be an apprentice on £5-9k per annum is going to have sufficient experience to not only document current policies and procedures but establish and implement new policies and procedures as well?

flowery Mon 16-Sep-13 09:41:31

Yes I realise you are not bringing any action. But being surprised they are "allowed" to word an ad that way implies you thought it would/should be unlawful, and therefore it should be possible for a person to bring action.

LaLaLeBouef Mon 16-Sep-13 09:12:32

I'm not bringing any action... Far from it! I was looking for some info abut Apprenticeships and came across that ad. I just thought it was a shocker and wondered what everyone else thought smile

flowery Mon 16-Sep-13 08:42:55

"I'm inclined to think that they mean "Wanted: Woman to work in clerical capacity in largely male-dominated industry. Must be willing to accept being called "Love" and happy to accept frequent references to her and other women's tits".

This, exactly. I was shocked to see that a company could get away with posting this in today's world!"

They couldn't. But they didn't post that did they? You would be making some big and unsubstantiated assumptions to bring any kind of legal action on the basis that you think that's what they meant. You may be right about those assumptions, but that's nowhere near enough for this wording to be discriminatory and therefore unlawful.

LaLaLeBouef Mon 16-Sep-13 07:49:31

Wrong thread Ninja?!

TheFallenNinja Mon 16-Sep-13 03:32:27

I've never met a liberal with a sense of humour. Sounds boring as fuck.

LaLaLeBouef Mon 16-Sep-13 02:30:29

I'm inclined to think that they mean "Wanted: Woman to work in clerical capacity in largely male-dominated industry. Must be willing to accept being called "Love" and happy to accept frequent references to her and other women's tits".

This, exactly. I was shocked to see that a company could get away with posting this in today's world!

HugAndRoll Sun 15-Sep-13 20:59:54

In that case they're being idiots.

kiriwawa Sun 15-Sep-13 20:56:49

grin grin sara

Actually, could it have been hacked. The ad I mean? The it looks like its been tagged on the end of the ad. Office prink maybe?

Still, the job sounds horrendous!

MacNCheese Sun 15-Sep-13 20:55:41

Sound like a bunch of pricks.

sarascompact Sun 15-Sep-13 20:51:38

Oh I don't know, Kiriwawa. I might consider £2,750 per insult, at a rate of a maximum of two insults a year with the use of "Get 'em out" and "While yer down there" charged at double rate. grin

Yup, that's the one!!

Fwiw my friend has just implemented a doc control system and is on £40k+ a year, in a male dominated industry and not once has she had to be "think skinned"

hermioneweasley Sun 15-Sep-13 20:48:59

Hmm, not immediately obvious why those requirements would be necessary in that job. I fear they know they have a lot of "banter" going on that coukd offend. Take the job and then sue for harassment!

If its the ad I found, they are looking for a lot from an apprentice!

And for the princely sum of £5-9k in the first year!

Avoid like the plague, they want the world but are paying peanuts!!

sarascompact Sun 15-Sep-13 20:48:40

Thank you OldLady. I got distracted. Yes, that's the advert I found.

kiriwawa Sun 15-Sep-13 20:47:50

I agree with you sare. Although I'm not sure I'd be prepared to be insulted for £5.5k a year

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 15-Sep-13 20:45:47
HugAndRoll Sun 15-Sep-13 20:43:35

Tried to google it to see the context and can't find it. Are you able to link?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now