SMP and childcare vouchers -is what i'm about to tell work correct?

(5 Posts)
littlemonkeychops Sun 24-Mar-13 17:59:12

Following on from a thread a while back, i think i am right but i just what to check before i e-mail HR the wrong thing and make myself look like a complete berk! :-)

So....i understand childcare vouchers can't be deducted from SMP.

My work offer enhanced mat pay of 50% of salary until the end of 39 weeks, but this is conditional on returning to work for 6 months.

Now, as i only work part time and get vouchers, the "additional" maternity pay would be, drumroll, £10 a week! Which would be taken away to pay towards vouchers anyway.

So, am i right oh wise MNetters (worried i'm missing something!) that i can tell HR tomorrow that i don't want the extra pay and i'd just like SMP and to keep getting
childcare vouchers please?

littlemonkeychops Tue 26-Mar-13 08:38:10

Sorry if this is covering old ground, it's just HR are being very cagey about it all so it's up to me to ask for whst i'm entitled to iyswim. I asked them to confirm if i could stay in the scheme and if they would be deducted from SMP (before i knew the answer) and they ignored the question. They're a big employer so i know that they know, grr...

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Mar-13 11:18:49

Hello

We've moved this to Employment at the OP's request.

flowery Tue 26-Mar-13 12:02:18

Yes. But I wouldn't say anything resembling 'can I get childcare vouchers', or anything to imply that you are not absolutely entitled to them.

I would just say you've done your sums and had a think and would like to decline the enhanced company maternity pay and instead opt for statutory only.

Don't assume that because your HR work for a big employer they are automatically competent btw...

littlemonkeychops Tue 26-Mar-13 12:36:38

Ok, thanks for your help :-) i will just send the form back declining the additional pay and send another email following up my one asking about vouchers to say i'll just leave things as they are thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now