Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Cutting of my nose to spite my face?

(12 Posts)
grabaspoon Tue 12-Mar-13 11:17:09

I need some advice.

I am a live in nanny to a school aged child and work aprox 20 hours a week term time only which allows me time to study as I attend uni 1 day a week (part time so 9-3, term time only) As I work term time only I get a lot of holidays however..... I am bored. I miss doing my job and have been looking for other things.

HOWEVER.... Am I cutting my nose off to spite my face; If I leave, I will need to find a job, a place to live, hope that my new employers are a good match for me, hope that when they change the day of my course next year that it fits in ok with my new employers .................

I love my charge, I get on ok with my boss but I am bored - However my boss still needs childcare so isn't looking to get rid of me .... yet.

So do I jump out of the pan and into the fire or just ....

So you are free between 9 am and 3pm 4 working days of the week?

grabaspoon Tue 12-Mar-13 11:26:05

Yep smile and get all school holidays off plus an additional 2 weeks on top of that.... I know I'd be stupid to give it up

Well, if a love of not doing much is your dream life, then it would be stupid to give it up....

wink

But I sense you want more!

What are you studying? And how much longer do you have?

Could you find a different job the hours you are free? Even a voluntary one?
Or study at your local adult community college, if they have something that interest you and will increase your employability in future?

Also <whispers> how old are you?

Life, not love hmm

grabaspoon Tue 12-Mar-13 11:56:51

I am 29 this year - been in this job almost 3.6 years.

Love my job - when I am doing childcare but don't see the child enough anymore to do anything fun/exciting/meaningful.

I have started doing voluntary work at the school but I don't think thats enough.

AmandaCooper Tue 12-Mar-13 14:06:55

Surely with those hours you could easily find a second childcare job that would fit in with the first?

Vajazzler Tue 12-Mar-13 14:14:12

Could you take on a baby a part of a nanny share?

FashionFail Tue 12-Mar-13 14:20:05

Friends of mine had a nanny in this situation. She took on a baby as well, which kept her busy during school hours. He was picked up about 6, after the kids had all had tea. Both families contributed to her salary.

bran Tue 12-Mar-13 15:09:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

But what are you studying?

grabaspoon Tue 12-Mar-13 19:47:30

Childhood and education studies,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now