Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

WWYD? Talk to the doctor or keep my nose out? LONG sorry

(56 Posts)

I'm worried about my mum. She is elderly. She has various health issues, including hardening of her arteries, which I am aware can lead to dementia.

My dad is still alive, they are still married, and I'm wondering if I'm over-worrying and what, if anything to do.

She is becoming increasingly forgetful. Forgets to turn the gas off. Doesn't remember arrangements for me to call round/meet for coffee and the like.

She can't work the tv, the computer, if dad died tomorrow I don't know how she'd cope.

Her driving is getting atrocious. It was never good tbh, but now she's so bad I don't like asking her to pick the kids up for me if I'm working. I try to get Dad to do it.

She gets really angry over silly things - raging mad, over something really petty.

She has inappropriate conversations, that's the only way I can describe it. Will phone and tell me she has to go now as she need to poo or she needs a pee, for example.

Her clothes look like a bag lady left them at a dustbin. No money issues, she just doesn't care.

Her behaviour in social situations is odd. For example, she dropped a fork at a restaurant, the waitress saw, went to replace it, mother said no it was fine and licked it clean, and ate her dinner with it.

Also, she makes a big joke and laugh about things that aren't really funny (hard to explain without outing myself)

Should I go and talk to the GP or should I leave my Dad to it and keep my nose out?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 03-Apr-13 09:20:26

Ooops grin

grin

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 04-Apr-13 07:18:05

Morning Freddie , how are you doing ?

Thank you for asking. Me and the dog are in bed. I have coffee. One of the dd is up and watching tv.

I ache all over. I think it's stress. Am going to be totally honest with the doc and hope it helps.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 04-Apr-13 08:17:21

Ok, bed and coffee is good. Can totally relate to the aching all over but and agree that it's the stress. One thing all the professionals have been saying to me is support for me is really important so definitely be honest.

I need to see my GP on Tuesday as well to have my blood pressure taken. I got so stressed when the Tracker Nurse came to help carry out the plan of locking Mum's meds in a box for the Carer's to give her that my blood pressure went through the roof and nurse dispatched me to GP.

So learn from my mistakes and really look after yourself as best you can, however hard it is. This might mean saying no it the DC's to things they want to do which you usually would. That is ok, they will be fine. Things are going to be very different when I get home (I really don't want to go back so know things need to change). It depends on what your local branch is like but I spoke to a lovely lady at the Alzheimer's Society over the phone, she was very helpful before we'd got the diagnosis.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 09-Apr-13 17:45:16

Did it go Ok at the GP's today ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now