This is the pushy parent Tiffin tutor thread.

(460 Posts)
uwila Mon 22-Jan-07 13:28:06

Okay, so wh ohas used a Tiffin tutor? Did it get your kid(s) into Tiffin? How old were they when they strted tutoring?

Okay, so my DD is only 3 1/2 but I like to plan ahead/. I've heard you can sign up for tutors that increase your chances of getting into Tiffin (boys and girls schools).

Any experience/opinions welcome.

Thanks.

OhDearConfused Tue 26-Feb-13 14:07:34

Thank you for that view, LondonGirl, and sorry you had such a bad time of it. I have heard it said before about Tiffin Girls.

I only have DS so I do hope that Tiffin Boys is not quite as bad as that. I would be interested in your (or other's) views before we give it a go next entry point.

ODC

potatoprinter Tue 26-Feb-13 20:32:40

Londongirl5, I am sorry you had such a bad time at TGS. My daughter is in year 12 and some of your comments sound familiar.

I especially agree about the school being unable to deal with conflict and bullying; I have personal experience of an incident when the victim was blamed and the perpetrators believed. My DD reports there is a lot of cliqueness and bitchiness in Sixth Form.

My impression was that the pressure for grades comes from other girls (parents?). The teachers I spoke to didn't seem bothered if DD got an A or A*. Yes, a lot seem to be tutored. Some of the teaching is quite lazy and I think teachers at my younger child's comp try a lot harder.

However, on the whole I think TGS has been a good school for my DD. She wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes at the local comp where DD2 goes. The rules in the local comp are a lot more stringent than TGS believe me. She did have the option of moving for Sixth Form but decided to stay on.

zoffany51 Fri 01-Mar-13 12:38:00

@ODC "I only have DS so I do hope that Tiffin Boys is not quite as bad as that. I would be interested in your (or other's) views before we give it a go next entry point." DS1 is at TS; what info do you want to know about the school? smile

LearnAboutLight Sun 03-Mar-13 23:13:48

I have a DD1 now in year 8 at the girls' school and can vouch for its well rounded nature. I have a conspiracy theory about tutors which is that they only accept children who would have got even without tutors. Of course, there are strategies for answering verbal, non-verbal, maths and english tests but to get your child up to speed on these strategies are not beyond the grasp of intelligent parents. Child must accept circa 80 mins each day from Year 5 as practice is gold. Some exam practice over the summer holidays would also be beneficial and this can be bought from conventional tuition providers. I hope I am right as I have a DS1 in Y5 who will take the exam in September 13. He is hoping for Tiffin Boys but we would also be happy with the Slough consortium schools.

Golgo13 Wed 20-Mar-13 06:18:46

@Learn about Light : You could say that the "well-known" Tiffin tutors have picked up a trick from Tiffin itself. If you select only the brightest, your outcomes are almost bound to be the best.
People then transfer the credit from the student to the tutor, and a self-sustaining brand is born.

londonirishmum Tue 03-Dec-13 15:54:31

Hello Celia,

I would really love to have the contact details of that Tiffin tutor you mentioned on one of your threads. You kindly mentioned to one mum that if she wanted the name she could "CAT" you - but forgive me as this is my first MN message, so I don't know what CAT means?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Ladymuck Tue 03-Dec-13 16:13:22

The famous Mrs W that Celia referred to (nearly 7 years ago - where does the time go!) has since retired I'm afraid. Also the Tiffin Girls exams changed format significantly last year coinciding with the introduction of (an enormous) catchment area.

CecilyP Tue 03-Dec-13 16:18:18

Yes, this thread started so long ago that OP's then 3.5 year old DD will be going to secondary school next September.

Ladymuck Tue 03-Dec-13 16:34:57

I'm desperately trying to remember what uwila namechanged to? Would be intrigued to know where she ended up!

Sashmckyx Mon 25-Aug-14 20:29:28

Tiffin Boys is now ALOT easier to get into than tiffin girls as there are 4 exams for TGS but only 2 for TBS. my daughter got into TGS and I would honestly say it is near impossible to get in without the tutoring. I think the tiffin exam is not just a test of intelligence but a test of how much work the child will put in to do well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now