School Allocation

(4 Posts)
mangomodellingclay Wed 16-Apr-14 19:36:43

Bit hormonal as DS2 is only 12 weeks and not sleeping so please be gentle.

DS1 (pfb) has been offered a place in our third choice school. I am really devastated by this because even though we put it as a choice it was only to stop us being sent to the failing school in our catchment area.

Our first choice is where he is at preschool and is in our catchment as is second choice. The school we've been offered means we drive past the two schools. Do we have any grounds to appeal or should we just suck it up?

Dreamgirls234 Wed 16-Apr-14 20:26:54

Have you tried posting in primary education op you'll have better luck there. There is a thread where parents are offering advice. GoodLuck

tiggytape Thu 17-Apr-14 09:58:21

You don't have grounds to appeal just on the basis of being offered a school that isn't your closest one. That is very common and happens a lot.

Any appeal for YR is based mainly on one thing - are there 30 children per teacher in YR-Y2? If so the Infant Class Size laws apply and appeals cannot be won unless a parent can prove an error that cost them a place, that admissions criteria are unlawful (unlikely) or that the decision not to admit their child is unreasonable in the legal sense of being completely irrational.

If there are not 30 per class however, an appeal can be won by arguing that the benefits of your child attending the school outweigh any problems the school will face by taking another child.

Also look at waiting lists and make sure you have been added to all of the ones for schools you would consider. Ask the council if you are unsure whether you are automatically added.

mangomodellingclay Thu 17-Apr-14 10:38:48

Thank you, I know waiting lists are our only option realistically.

I am just a bit desperate & felt like part of the school community at preschool. We are away from our support network and I thought after 4yrs we would feel like this was home. Still my DS is amazing and is quite happy. We drove past new school yesterday and it had a huge slide so he is asking to start!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now