Hulme Hall Grammar School near Stockport.

(8 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Mon 13-Jan-14 11:00:31

Any views please particularly for a child with low self esteem and Dyspraxia.

soul2000 Mon 13-Jan-14 18:05:39

Molding. As i told you on the other thread you started i was very similar to your DD. It was the only school that would take me after the state sector left me barely able to hold a pen. The state sector had decided i was incapable of doing any of the newly created Gcses (1988) . I am grateful for the fact the school allowed me to leave the hellish situation everyday at the high school.

Although i only got 4Es and 1 D , it was 1000 times better than the outcome would have been in the state sector. (We were the butt of jokes from many of the other private school kids). The amazing thing about the school despite taking mainly "Hopeless causes" like myself or expelled kids from other private schools. Many of its pupils have achieved greater things than pupils who attended the selective or admired independents in the locality.

moldingsunbeams Mon 13-Jan-14 18:27:24

Ohh was that Hulme Hall Soul, that's very reassuring, she did email to say they assessed for Maths and English so I was a little worried they would not take her.

OutwiththeOutCrowd Mon 13-Jan-14 21:31:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutwiththeOutCrowd Mon 13-Jan-14 22:24:34

Hulme Hall is a small, nurturing school with a good reputation locally.

There were children from DS's class who did the entrance exam/ assessment for the school last year and I got the impression that the assessment was more about finding out if and how the school could meet the needs of a particular child than an academic hurdle to be cleared. A relatively large number of the children at Hulme Hall have SEN compared to a more conventional grammar school.

If you are interested in this type of school, you might like to consider
Hillcrest School, also in the Stockport area, with a similar profile.

Amongst the more conventional grammar schools in the area, the King's School in Macclesfield has a reputation for being more geared up for taking on children who need a bit more input and support.

All of the schools mentioned usually hold their assessment days in January for entrance into Y7.

moldingsunbeams Tue 14-Jan-14 06:07:08

Thanks outwith, very helpful. DD is being assessed on Tuesday and that is what I was worried about so very helpful thanks.

djtags Tue 08-Jul-14 18:14:28

Hi,

I was wondering how your assessment went and wether or not you decided to send your child to Hulme Hall. We are considering this school too.

Thanks.

Loob51 Sat 30-Aug-14 21:57:16

Our DS transferred to Hulme Hall from another private school who told us he wouldn't get any GCSEs - he passed the lot with the support he got at the school and got some good grades too - delighted smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now