Prep schools in and around Sevenoaks

(18 Posts)
Nadalsballs Sun 01-Sep-13 09:34:18

We're moving to Sevenoaks. Any recommendations?

Bowlersarm Sun 01-Sep-13 09:37:03

Boys or girls?

Sevenoaks Prep solid reputation.

New Beacon seems food for boys. Tends to lean towards the academic side, and likes to think of itself as a feeder for Tonbridge School.

Nadalsballs Sun 01-Sep-13 09:54:18

We have boy and girls so both! We were told that Sevenoaks prep isn't very academic but that new beacon, although academic, is very sporty and if you're not good at sport you're a bit of an outsider?

Is hilden grange any good? What about st michael's?

Bowlersarm Sun 01-Sep-13 10:07:44

Yes, have heard good reports of both Hilden Grange and St Michaels. Have friends who are very happy with HG. Know less about St Michaels-a few years ago there seemed to be a bit of a mass exodus end of year 6 but that may have changed or not bother you if your DC would be leaving then.

Have you found a house? Think you need to be Tonbridge side of Sevenoaks if you are considering Tonbridge schools, ideally.

New Beacon does have a good sports reputation. The only thing I would say that if you have a non sporty DS but who likes to play, because they are purely a boys school they do have enough boys to field a number of teams, so he should still get a chance to play.

Nadalsballs Sun 01-Sep-13 10:20:38

Thanks.

We will be living in the middle of town so should be ok getting out to Tonbridge.

Does sevenoaks prep have a decent reputation?

Bowlersarm Sun 01-Sep-13 10:30:45

I think it has an ok reputation. It is quite a small school, so puts some people off. There's Walthamstow Hall for girls, as well.

Just a word of warning if you consider Tonbridge prep schools and you live in the middle of Sevenoaks - most of your DC's new friends will be living the other side of Tonbridge towards Paddock Wood/Horsmonden. Or Tunbridge Wells, so play dates or after school teas could be an awfully long way away! Most people living in sevenoaks and surrounding villages stick to the sevenoaks schools, so your DC's friends would be more local if you did that.

You need to look at all the schools really to get the feel of if they are what you are looking for. Have to looked round any yet?

Nadalsballs Mon 02-Sep-13 07:20:20

We've seen Sevenoaks prep, it was nice but I got the sense that it wasn't very academic. I didn't come away wowed by it.

We're seeing new beacon and and michael's when we're next visiting in a couple of weeks. We're also arranging to see hilden grange and the Granville. I thought walthamstow hall was seniors?

We have decided that Russell house and solefields are too small. Have I missed any?

I hadn't thought about play dates but that's a very good point. We liked hilden grange too as it looked academic and sporty, musical etc

Bowlersarm Mon 02-Sep-13 07:34:28

OP-am just off out but I'll send you a PM later. I have a little more to say, but I like the anonymity of mumsnet so don't want to give myself away with too many personal details for all to see!

Nadalsballs Mon 02-Sep-13 07:45:13

Oh, thanks! Let me know where I'll find the message. I haven't used MN much.

Traffic from 7oaks to Tonbridge not fun at school run time. Check the drive before you commit, especially if you have to got on or back for work.

Bowlersarm Mon 02-Sep-13 09:53:20

OP-I have pm'd you-you need to click the little envelope at the top of the page where it says 'MY Mumsnet'

Adikia Tue 03-Sep-13 12:13:38

DS has some friends at Hilden Grange and they are very happy there and their parents say the school is fantastic. Sevenoaks prep has a good reputation, I don't know St Michaels or New Beacon.

There's also Schools at Sommerhill, if you are looking at Tonbridge schools, which is worth looking round but as Nadalsballs said, the traffic at school run time is not fun and Fosse Bank in Hildenborough.

Nadalsballs Tue 03-Sep-13 13:37:03

Thanks so much for the info all.
Bowlers - I keep meaning to reply to your pm but have been really busy. I will get around to it soon, it was really helpful though, thank you!

Adikia Tue 03-Sep-13 21:28:52

oops, sorry about muddling up names there, DDs first day at school and my brains a bit muddled

hatsybatsy Wed 04-Sep-13 09:51:28

friend is very happy with 2 kids at St Michaels. Her kids are sporty and bright and doing well there. Her kids (and most of their friends) will leave at 11.

applebread Sun 08-Sep-13 21:25:05

Walthamstow Hall has very nice juniors - it's on a separate site to the senior school. New Beacon is also good.

eatyourveg Tue 10-Sep-13 20:31:26

I was going to say Yardley Court/Derwent Lodge but I see Adikia mentioned Sommerhill. Coombe Bank has a prep dept but don't know if its good or bad or somewhere in the middle.

mamushka78 Wed 24-Sep-14 12:24:28

Hi all

Does anyone have any feedback on Hilden Grange in Tonbridge? Am considering putting my DD there next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now