cricket kit advise please

(64 Posts)
Labro Wed 24-Apr-13 23:27:23

ds is yr 6, only been in indie since yr 5, but would now like own bat etc for cricket. I have no idea what brands are any good or completely rubbish, so please would you lovely people help me out with decent brand names for bat, bag, shoes, pads and gloves and which to avoid! He's not in any teams, quite a beginner, so nothing too expensive either!!!

I can imagine grin - DS's school roll up in scruffy shorts and aertex shirts for other sports and the opposition all have their names on the back of their special made-to-order kit - it makes the occasional victory all the sweeter - but they cave to "peer pressure" when it comes to cricket whites from Y6 onwards.

Ds wears his (second hand ) club cricket top for cricket matches. And his school cricket top for school matches (we caved in and bought him one).

But really, he had cricket match (school) Wednesday, has cricket match (local club) Friday evening, cricket match (school) Saturday, cricket training (local club) Sun morning, cricket training (school) Tues evening...

Lots of cricket, good thing he loves it! grin

My ds just got his first cricket bat from Fordhams. £20. They had a range of adult bats in the hundreds, but the one they recommended my son was just £20. I was very happy with that, as dhs aunt had wanted to buy him the bat for his birthday, it would have been very embarrassing to tell an elderly retired lady that she would have to fork out hundreds of pounds! blush

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 10-May-13 09:29:50

Another vote for Fordhams. grin Usually DH deals with the cricket stuff, but when I recently had a mercy dash with DS2 they were great, took a lot of time to make sure was just right.
Cricket trousers are the bane of my life- why do they have to be such yucky nylon rubbish? And why not reinforced knees? Re the green and red stains, A sachet of Dr Beckhams non-bio stain remover in the wash is effective, even @ 30 degrees ( was special offer in Asda last week).
And yes, do not buy a bat 'to grow into' better to buy right size second hand.

storynanny Fri 10-May-13 10:09:51

Ha Norman, it gets worse! There becomes an overlap in mid to late teens when they play for the school, the boys. The youths. The mens teams at club level,, add in a district school team and then indoor league over the winter, plus net practice on the only available night of the week that's left! Plus I had 3 boys do this. Cricket teas cost me a fortune.
However, I am delighted with the way it gave my boys a focus during their teens, the mentoring they received over the years was priceless and it is a hobby (way of life more like it) and passion which has continued into adulthood. At boys and youth club level, the amount of commitment by volunteers is astounding.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 10-May-13 17:38:16

Story Yes! I am pleased that my DS2 who normally has a low boredom threshold seems to have endless patience for the waiting around involved in cricket - even in matches he has not batted or bowled, he is still completely involved - it seems more of a team sport that the rugby and football he also does.

storynanny Fri 10-May-13 17:46:50

I agree, apparently if boys have an all consuming hobby with good male/female mentors other than their own family, they are more likely to stay " on the rails". I think that is a quote from Stephen Biddulph "raising boys"

cricketballs Fri 10-May-13 19:33:03

It is more than a hobby for my eldest DS - he has been very involved in the sport since he was 11; nets, matches etc. It saved him 'face' that instead of telling his mates that he couldn't hang around the streets (cause his mum and dad wouldn't let him!) at night he was at cricket. When he was going through a late surge of teen moods it was the one thing that he kept with and kept him close to the son we knew was hiding there.....hes back to normal know and cricket is still the main thing in his life; coaching the U9s, vice manager of the U15 and plays senior cricket, taking his level 2 coaching certificate and this has helped him gain a place on a volunteer programme in South Africa for 3 weeks next year

I can not thank the sport/life enough for what is has done for him and my youngest who is AS and learning difficulties and has played a game for the U15 - couldn't take the smile off his face for weeks!

storynanny Fri 10-May-13 19:46:59

I agree cricket balls, it also kept mine off joining in with the teen cigarette smoking as they knew it would affect their sporting performances! That has to be good side effect.
This thread has made me smile as I remember all the cricket related stuff that went on in our house for over 20 years! Like a dice cricket game, pages and pages of imaginary cricket league tables, after match analysis of the standard of each cricket tea etc etc. Happy days, however other women now have the delightful pleasure of dealing with the laundry now for 2 of my sons.

hmm storynanny - and those sons would be not dealing with their own manky cricket kit because......?

storynanny Fri 10-May-13 20:36:21

Haha yes of course they should be, their women are toooo kind. They will learn.....

Well, ds's team lost tonight, and he didn't even bowl very well. He still enjoyed it though. He has another match tomorrow, for his school team.

The main problem is trying to balance out his cricket activities with his musical ones (he is also a keen percussionist)! Ok in winter, harder in summer! smile

austenozzy Fri 10-May-13 23:13:48

As stealthsquiggle and others said - the golden rule is to buy a bat that is the correct length and weight. Buying one that is too big will mean he won't be able to play as well as he might, and will lose interest.

At his age, I dare say the make will be more important from a 'looking the part' perspective than a performance one! I've always used Newbery and M&H bats myself, but they're premium.

When choosing a bat, it's helpful to wear batting gloves when trying the 'pickup', as the hands are spaced correctly with the gloves. Without gloves, it makes a large difference to the balance of the pickup. Again, prob more useful to remember that in future years.

Also, to make sure it's the right weight, get him to try swinging a few front foot shots with just his left hand (if he's right handed), as that is the leading hand when batting. If it's too much of a struggle, it's probably too heavy.

Hope this helps. (20 years of cricket and ECB registered coach).

austenozzy Fri 10-May-13 23:14:48

Blimey, that should read 30 years of cricket! Getting oooold...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now