Private school uniforms - how much do you need?!

(83 Posts)
Mendi Thu 04-Apr-13 10:15:46

So, DD is moving from state primary to a private school in Sept and we have just received the uniform list. It just lists what is required, not how much of each thing, and I am wondering how many of things like blazer, sports kit you get? Blazer in particular is really expensive, but I guess they wear it every day so you need two, in case one gets dirty?

It's probably obvious how clueless I am. Please help.

Mutteroo Sat 06-Apr-13 20:06:54

DD broke a front tooth climbing on a water slide on holiday aged 11 & days before she started at senior school. DS broke a front tooth aged 14 playing squash. Neither activities needed compulsory mouth guards but it would have made life a lot easier if they had their teeth protected!

Picture, seriously reconsider because it only takes one ball to hit one of your daughters (I hope this doesn't happen) for them to have to tolerate a whole heap of pain & embarrassment.

Back got the OP. I can only add go to the second hand uniform sales. When DD first started in the private sector, I brought all bar her blazer as brand new items. What a fool I was. I thought that's what all parents did & it took another term for me to find out that only the foolish ones like me paid the full whack! I paid £30 per skirt & £20 per blouse....Madness. DS's uniforms were always very reasonably priced & the only expensive items were the rugby shirts. Brought two of these as mud is hell to get clean & they couldn't be tumble dried.

Ditto what others have said about school coats. They will end up being left at home & ignored even with hail, sleet & snow. Congrats to your daughter. Hope she enjoys her last few months in primary & her new senior school.

bringonthesummer Fri 05-Apr-13 21:41:25

Op I was in the same situation last spring .we went to the summer term fair and bought blazer , dresses etc from the second hand uniform stall ( was scrum free) .Also i made the mistake of buying blouses from the official uniform shop , these were more exspensive and only lasted 2 terms ... Will go John Lewis or m&s next time !

difficultpickle Fri 05-Apr-13 21:00:50

Ds got an expensive fitted mouthguard complete with his name printed on it and it had disappeared within a week. I had to collect him from school on a boarding night and fit a boil one or else he wouldn't have been allowed to play his team rugby match (he'd had to miss practice because he couldn't find it the previous day).

TomDudgeon Fri 05-Apr-13 19:00:38

Ah sewing
It's the name label on inside
Loop on inside
plus initials on outside

On three billion bits of uniform for each child

I've ordered the largest amount of labels this time

LIZS Fri 05-Apr-13 18:40:01

I'm shocked any school allows competitive ball sports without appropriate protection . Agree a boil n bite is less than £10 and can protect not only teeth but head injury from the impact.

1805 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:38:30

Why not get a mouth guard? £7 in sports direct.

Mind you, I've only used the Opro fitting service once when dd had no front top teeth, but they were starting to grow through. They claimed they accommodate situations like this.
But the fitting made her throw up, and it no longer fits her because her front teeth have now grown through. With ds I've always done them at home and re boiled them when necessary. He has had a hockey stick in his mouth that split his lip, but his teeth were all fine thanks to the mouth guard.

OP - how much you need depends on how messy dd gets, how much she loses things, how often you do laundry, and how quickly the uniform will dry. I don't know anyone with more than one blazer.

difficultpickle Fri 05-Apr-13 18:33:04

A tip for cleaning marks off wool dry clean only blazers - baby wipes are fab. Recommended by ds's school matron and they work a treat. As he has to wear his blazer all day every day I still end up getting it cleaned at the end of every term.

difficultpickle Fri 05-Apr-13 18:28:58

When I got ds's basic uniform and sports kit (winter only, I've just bought summer stuff) I sewed on 54 labels. That included huge labels with his initials on for all the sports kit. It took me the best part of a day to do. For some reason his current school has so much more kit than his previous school and both were private. The individual bits of kit were cheaper than our local state primary but the overall cost was more as the quantities was so much more. Ds's school has a uniform shop on site which is very handy. I can email them with my list, pop a cheque in ds's school bag and they leave the uniform to be collected from the school office. Handy as I'm never around when the school shop is open. I know the person who runs it too so I don't even have to worry about sizing as she knows ds and is always spot on.

diabolo Fri 05-Apr-13 18:20:22

My DS is a defender and has taken a hockey ball in the face several times, needing trips to hospital for suspected fractured cheekbones.

He now wears a full face guard for short corners and no-one is allowed to play without at least a mouthguard,

PLEASE reconsider your position on this pictures.

TomDudgeon Fri 05-Apr-13 15:22:37

Thank goodness for this thread. It's just reminded me I need more ds2 labels for summer kit

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:50:40

Ah orienteering/team building

Autumn term was football, hockey & netball on a carousel
Spring term isn't on the website

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:47:33

They have 1 period of games per week plus 1 period of PE which is gymnastics, dance and something else

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 14:24:47

Seriously, I would be amazed if she gets away with 6 games of hockey......

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:18:02

Dd tries to do as little sport as possible.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 14:17:06

That's per year. Opro said you had to have a new mouth guard every year

They do hockey and football in the winter term netball and something else in the spring term I think and tennis and athletics in the summer.

The hockey club runs for the serious ones.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 13:40:45

Half a dozen times? Wow- dd played more hockey than that in. state school!!!!!

<joke!>

But true!

Callthemidlife Fri 05-Apr-13 13:39:12

Dentists for children are free, but if her front teeth are knocked out then to have proper, beautiful implants will not be covered and will cost in the region of £8,000 privately (DH has them, thanks to a rugby game in his youth...).

I would also imagine that if she lost a couple of teeth she would have to wear dentures until the rest of her teeth finished growing, and wouldn't be able to get implants any earlier. Not a great experience for a girl during the snogging years....

Go on. You know it makes sense.

<And there I was, just a couple of days ago, swearing that MNers don't gang up on posters.....>

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:36:25

I think the cheapest one was about £35. Seemed a lot for something that would only be used about half a dozen times.

SoupDragon Fri 05-Apr-13 13:30:14

Yes, DSs were sent that Opro leaflet too. Their orthodontist said that under no circumstances was I to use them. We have Opro boil-to-fit ones instead.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:27:07

I think they spend most if the hdlf hour avoiding doing very much in hockey anyway! They are not at all sporty!

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:25:32

Dd is going to need a brave when she gets her second set if teeth. I thought dentists for children were free.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 05-Apr-13 13:24:32

We were sent a leaflet and a letter from school from a company called opro who came into school to fit everyone on a certain day back in September.

SoupDragon Fri 05-Apr-13 13:12:13

DSs orthodontist insisted that the expensive, fitted at the start of the year mouthguards were damaging to children teeth and that under no circumstances should I get them. Boil-to-fit ones are far better when children are still growing and their teeth still moving.

Callthemidlife Fri 05-Apr-13 13:08:25

We just use the boil in a bag cheapies from sports direct at £3 a throw.

seeker Fri 05-Apr-13 13:07:59

I didn't wear a seat belt as a child either!

They don't have to be expensive- and you "fit" them by soaking them in boiling water. But even if they were expensive, they are cheaper than the orthodontist!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now