Sedbergh and Casterton Merger

(36 Posts)
ALong151 Tue 19-Mar-13 17:38:31

I read about the merger; does anyone know why parents are objecting to it though?Has anyone heard anything adverse about these schools individually or about the merger? More importantly, would the merger have any speculated repercussions on the students or staff which may affect the performance of the school in general?

AnteaterAgain Wed 01-May-13 23:12:45

Heard from my dd tonight that just 11 girls from Casterton will make the transition to Sedbergh.. If this is the case (and who am I to call in to question my 10yo fact finding skills...) then it does rather poor water over the talk of a merger.. more like a bloodless takeover! Feel very sorry for all connected to Casterton. The Governors should join all the HBOS bankers in the dock.

roisin Thu 02-May-13 01:51:37

Crikey! :-o

CBJAY Sun 05-May-13 20:04:23

I take it that is 11 senior school girls (year 9 +) as I understand almost all the prep school are moving over?

roisin Mon 06-May-13 14:22:40

This article throws doubt on the idea that Casterton was thriving financially.

YoniFoolsAndHorses Mon 06-May-13 14:31:04

And the comments below show how skewed an article it is!

wairy Tue 07-May-13 14:33:22

I am a parent of two girls at sedbergh, one in the senior school (she had two years in Junior) and one just completing her third year in the junior school. They were both very shy, retiring and lacking in confidence when they went to SJS. I am pleased to say that they have both found their confidence - NOT in a brash way but are now outgoing and freindly. I would thoroughly recommend sending any girls to SJS and thence to Sedbergh - I have only wonderful experience of them both. I would also point out that they were almost alone in boarding when they started and now the girls boarding house is bursting at the seams - surely this can only show how good the SJS boarding is - three years - from 2 at weekends to overflowing - it really speaks for itself.

Oddy69 Tue 23-Jul-13 11:55:43

Does anyone have any onfo on the whole casterton parents lawsuit???? All seems to have gone very quiet.

Rosetti Mon 29-Jul-13 22:55:19

will bump this as have my choice down to Sedbergh or Stonyhurst!!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 29-Jul-13 23:09:52

>If you dont like it,you can change schools

There's not exactly a huge choice in that area, is there though?

Rosetti Wed 31-Jul-13 11:48:18

Not a huge choice even though both are boarding but it's not that easy to change once started due to admissions deadlines, entrance exams etc. We have about 6 months to make up our minds which one to go for - its which is best overall for academics and sport - both seem very similar on the surface.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 31-Jul-13 12:48:18

Are they? I'm too far south to have considered Sedburgh - some of DDs classmates did look at Casterton. Stonyhurst didn't seem that great academically TBH compared to others but cost way more (for day) ...gorgeous environment I guess! And being Catholic makes it a bit of a Marmite choice.

It seems particularly rough on people who'd specifically chosen Casterton because they wanted a girls' school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now