Can a average child get top grades?

(77 Posts)
mam29 Sun 03-Mar-13 08:49:41

Just intrigued is all the good grades purly down to grade inflation?

Also on mumsnet here see huge amount of parents talk about

level 5 ad 6 sats like its the norm

The amount that do 11+ and have tutors.

does the tutoring turn everage student into a clever one therefore getting child into selective school?

At primary will the kids in bottom/middle sets ever reach to the top?

Is it involved parents, good school or effort that raises kids i suspect all 3.

Yellowtip Tue 05-Mar-13 13:57:29

fourseasons there's no reason why a bright but lazy child deserves a grammar school place less than an industrious less bright one. Innate ability should be valued too and there's every chance that the lazy 11 year old might become more engaged and less lazy in a grammar school environment.

fourseasonsinaday Wed 06-Mar-13 10:41:41

Yellowtip - I totally agree with you. That's why I feel the comment comes from the media is unfair to say that bright children don’t get into grammar schools because the less bright ones are being prepared too much. It very much devalues and demoralises those who gained places through hard work and dedication at that point of their life. Besides children (and even we adults) in general develop at different rate and according to life experiences and opportunities available. A child won a GS place will be praised as being BRIGHT, BRAINY, CLEVER and so on. How often do people honour a GS child for being diligent, dedicated, focus or ambitious imo these are innate ability too. From what I see in my dc’s school in general the children who got into GS seemed to be the diligent ones whether they are naturally more brainier or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now