Tory by-election candidate on state education....

(194 Posts)
seeker Sat 16-Feb-13 14:12:40

......sorry it's the Daily Mirror, but so far it's that or the Huffington Post! At least they are showing their true colours......
Here

prh47bridge Sat 16-Feb-13 14:23:31

What true colours? The full quote in the third paragraph shows that she did not say what the headline or the first paragraph claim. All she is saying, rightly or wrongly, is that she doesn't think the local schools are good enough. And what about all the politicians from Labour and the LibDems who think a state education is not good enough for their child?

grovel Sat 16-Feb-13 14:31:56

Well, my local outstanding comp has never sent a child to read Medicine at university.

seeker Sat 16-Feb-13 14:40:22

What, this full quotation? "She said: “William is very gifted which gives us another interesting challenge in finding the right sort of education for him – impossible in the state system. He wants to be a cardio-respiratory surgeon.”

tiggytape Sat 16-Feb-13 15:09:20

Politicians of all colours get sniffy about state schools when it comes to the education of their own children. It is nothing new.

Some of Diane Abbot's quotes on the subject include:
"I’m a West Indian mum and West Indian mums will go to the wall for their children."
"But when it came to having to make a very difficult decision for my son, I had to choose between him and my career and I chose my son. For me, of West Indian origin, that was a no-brainer."
"I knew what could happen if my son went to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd."

Lord Adonis summed it up pretty well last year when he said:
"It’s not a left or right thing. It really matters because too much of failed education policy since the war has been the result of ideological ministers who don’t use the institutions that they expect the general public to use and that has been true of the Labour side as well as well as the Tories."

seeker Sat 16-Feb-13 15:15:39

Nobody. But Nobody has ever said that their child can't be a surgeon if they go to a state school.

Muminwestlondon Sat 16-Feb-13 15:40:10

Well DD1 goes to a state school and they send around 20 to read medicine each year. Even DD2's "notorious" comp sends kids to read medicine most years.

One of the comments below the article says that the Lib Dem candidates daughter is reading medicine and she went to a state school.

tiggytape Sat 16-Feb-13 15:56:30

seeker - Diane Abbot was equally hysterical concerned when she voiced her objections to state schools. Apparently it would lead her son into a world of crime and drugs from which he could never be saved!

"I knew what could happen if my son went to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd. They are subjected to peer pressure and when that happens it’s very hard for a mother to save her son. Once a black boy is lost to the world of gangs it’s very hard to get them back."

Politicians on both sides are guilty of some pretty extreme views on the limits of state education even if their party is the one in government at the time.

And like Muminwestlondon - our local comp churns out medics and sends kids to Oxbridge (as do most comps around here although some less than others). The Lib Dem's candidate in Eastleigh also has a DD who studies medicine at Imperial College London having attended a local state school there.

Magdalenebaby Sat 16-Feb-13 16:01:27

The local schools in Eastleigh are very good indeed - Wildern and Thornden in particular. A comment like the one she made indicates that she has not even bothered to look at them.

grovel Sat 16-Feb-13 16:12:29

Looks like she'd be Marmite on MN:

"She is also obsessed with breastfeeding (‘I fed each of my four children for two years’), educational provision for children with learning difficulties (two of her children have special needs) and first came into the public eye when she handbagged Tony Blair on live television during the 2005 election campaign about those provisions".

Bluestocking Sat 16-Feb-13 16:18:51

Thrilled to see that her website (vote4maria) has misplaced apostrophes in it. Silly cow.

prh47bridge Sat 16-Feb-13 16:55:26

Yes, that is the quote. She says her son is gifted and that it is impossible to find the right sort of education for him in the state system. She then goes on to say he wants to be a surgeon. She does not connect the two comments. She does not say it is impossible for him to become a surgeon if he goes to state school. That is the interpretation of the Daily Mirror, not known for their objective approach to Tory politicians. Interestingly the journalist who carried out the original interview from which this quote is drawn did not interpret the comments in the same way, although that journalist works for the Daily Mail and could therefore also be regarded as biassed. For all we know the actual interview may have gone:

Hutchings: William is very gifted, which gives us another interesting challenge in finding the right sort of education for him — impossible in the state system.

Interviewrer: What does he want to be when he grows up?

Hutchings: A cardio-respiratory surgeon.

And as Tiggytape says, politicians of all colours have said some pretty extreme things about the state system to justify sending their own children to independent schools.

For what it is worth, Maria Hutchings used to be an active member of the Labour party.

Magdalenebaby Sat 16-Feb-13 16:57:48

It is precisely her assumption that it is impossible to find suitable provision for a gifted child in the state system that I take issue with.

seeker Sat 16-Feb-13 17:03:26

So it's OK to say it's impossible to find education for a gifted child in the state system?????grin

seeker Sat 16-Feb-13 17:04:34

But well tried, prb!!!!!!!

tiggytape Sat 16-Feb-13 17:04:57

No seeker of course not - but a lot of people believe it is true including both Tory and Labour politicians!

LittleFrieda Sat 16-Feb-13 17:23:48

This really comes down to whether you believe attendance at an independent school confers educational advantage, so that admission to medicine, Oxbridge, vet med etc, is more likely. I think the Sutton Trust (whose objective is to increase social mobility through education) has found this to be the case.

LittleFrieda Sat 16-Feb-13 17:25:42

Seeker - you seem to have struggled to find the right sort of education for your child.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 16-Feb-13 17:26:28

I'm interested in how John O'F got his new school, and why!

Stupid bloody woman.

LittleFrieda Sat 16-Feb-13 17:46:35

http://www.suttontrust.com/research/the-educational-backgrounds-of-the-nations-leading-people/leading-people-report.pdf

FillyPutty Sat 16-Feb-13 19:00:20

Is she even in catchment for the outstanding schools she has supposedly rejected?

The fact is that if you have the money you can find a suitable school for your child.

If you do not, then one may or may not be available in the state sector. Very often not.

prh47bridge Sat 16-Feb-13 22:41:23

I am not saying it is ok to say that. However, as Tiggy says, politicians of all parties have made similar statements. And I'm sure she isn't the only mother who thinks the local state schools aren't good enough.

Tasmania Sun 17-Feb-13 02:20:21

For goodness sake.

Is this country so PC these days that you can't say "I think my local state school can't offer me what I want for my child" without being demonized by pro-state school fanatics???

With Diane Abbott, I can actually understand what she means. The majority of people on MN are white, I guess...

seeker Sun 17-Feb-13 06:39:02

Tasmania- but that is not what she said. Why not comment on her actual words, not on something completely different!

Mrspartacus Sun 17-Feb-13 08:31:52

I read this yesterday, and have been hunting since to find out if the excellent comprehensives in her area are actually in her sons catchment. I initially thought she had been mis quoted, either way it is a damaging article For the forth coming election.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now