Caldicott School - does anyone know about learning support here?

(34 Posts)
ECLEO Tue 27-Nov-12 10:47:32

We've recently had Caldicott recommended to us because we're told it has a good academic record (without being a scary hothouse) as well as a good learning support team. Our DS (age 10) is dyslexic and we've been advised that he needs a school that doesn't dumb down (his current one does a bit) but that also copes with a range of abilities and can provide him with support when he needs it.

Can anyone comment on this?
Any advice MUCH appreciated.
Thanks!

Pastpublicschoolboy Fri 27-Dec-13 16:48:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

hatsybatsy Sat 28-Dec-13 09:16:26

pastpublicschoolboy - if another trial is pending, is it wise to be writing this stuff on here?

I believe the latest trial was concluded on Tuesday 17th December just gone with a guilty verdict.

NigellasDealer Sat 28-Dec-13 09:24:33

Can I ask what a robust child protection policy is?
'robust' is just a word thrown around by 'professionals' that doesn't mean v much IME.

Pastpublicschoolboy Sat 28-Dec-13 12:33:45

Sorry but I have no other info on abuse in similar institutions, I have been isolated to preserve the integrity of the judicial system. I also now live at the other end of the country. Please don't think I am claiming this behaviour is widespread but it was truly generational . Pupils who attended prior and post my school years have all reported abuse. It has been generational. A truly hard nut to crack, but with. Shear determination and refusal to be swept aside , we have managed to gain some comfort of supposed justice. Crazy really I have a past teacher having spent his second Christmas in prison and removed from his family. This gives me no sense of closure. What these men took from us as little boys has impacted over a lifetime. I am sure they feel no remorse but the chaos that has ensued in my life since they abused me has been immense.

Gourdin Sat 04-Jan-14 15:59:33

I too was at Caldicott, early to mid 50s when RPW arrived at the School. We had a marvellous Head in Shewell-Cooper but Wright was at the time a breath of fresh air, an inspirational and dedicated teacher and keen, as we now know, on sport. Goodness knows why it all went wrong with him. How brave for so many boys to come forward so long after events. The School, I understand, is now a model one in all respects and the Head has the respect and strong support of current parents.

Pastpublicschoolboy Sat 04-Jan-14 22:59:16

Many thousands of pupils will have passed through Caldicott untouched and unaware what actually occurred in the shadows. But those who suffered at the hands of many peadophiles can take no consolation regarding the safety of Caldicott. I am sure that when my parents were looking to find a springboard to my public school , that Caldicott was never advertised as a place full of adults who would sexually violate their young boys. Oh hang on that's right it was one othe the most respected prep schools in the uk. Kinda how Caldicott is today!

Pastpublicschoolboy Sun 05-Jan-14 15:32:18

I have no idea of the accuracy of this but ,worth a read
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldicott_School

Pastpublicschoolboy Sun 05-Jan-14 15:45:55

http://truevisiontv.com/films/details/97/chosen
Also worth a read

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now