This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Seller trying to get more money out of me for p&p - is this email ok?

(33 Posts)
TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 09:23:44

I won a top on ebay for a fiver on monday, p&p was £1.50. Yesterday the seller emailed me this: "Hello there postage was £3.15 would u be so kind to forward an extra £1.50 to cover otherwise i have received next to nothing for the top. many thanks;+)"

Now, I've sold on ebay before and lost huge amounts of money. I've also mispriced p&p. But, you have to suck it up. Its the risk of pricing low and selling on an auction site. want a set price? set a price. or put it in the paper. I had the £6.50 in my paypal, otherwise I wouldnt have bothered. its a nice top, but nothing special. anyway, I was going to message back:

Hi, I'm sorry you mispriced the p&p, its a pain when that happens. However, I'm not prepared to pay extra for your mistake. Its not only against ebay rules and would mean that I would no longer be covered by them, but I paid the price I wanted to pay and as agreed. If you havent yet sent the top I would be happy to cancel the sale so you can relist at the correct price.

Regards
Tramps

what d'ya think?

this isnt the first time this has happened, surely ebay's been around long enough for people to know how it works!

sarahtigh Sat 12-Jan-13 09:24:01

25-40p is reasonable packing cost for a small item of clothing in a bag,

sarahtigh Sat 12-Jan-13 09:23:11

if she did not say signed for in listing she can not just hope you pay after, OK i have done that thinking something would fold flat enough for large letter and then it has not so i have paid £2.20 instead of £1.10 i was hoping for but i have never ever asked a buyer to come up with the extra 1.10, thwe initial charge of 1.50 suggests it was going to be large letter at 1.10 with 40p for packing it would not have been signed for, so the 95p can be discounted as she never quoted for that so therefore can not charge for it

you have been polite certainly i would give low stars for communication maybe neutral with 5 stars perhaps fr as per description and speed of delivery but low stars for other options and add feedback comments to such

" item as described nice top, but very annoyed and being asked for extra postage"

packaging does not cost nothing I agree but you can only charge packaging costs
You can not charge for getting to PO, bus fares, petrol or parking costs unless you are a business, because that makes your car a business vehicle and then you need to insure as such, neither can you charge for time as private seller

TrampyPants Fri 11-Jan-13 12:51:41

It was postage but in a recycled jiffy bag.

ByTheWay1 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:11:53

do you mean P&P or do you mean postage alone??

I get cheesed off when I sell and people get snippy about the postage cost being less than the postage and packing quoted - do they expect free packaging...

fuzzpig Fri 11-Jan-13 09:51:30

Glad it arrived. smile

TrampyPants Fri 11-Jan-13 09:40:08

Its arrived! it was £3.15 p&p, but was bundled in a small jiffybag. proper packaging would have made it a large letter size instead.

Jayne266 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:05:35

Yeah my ebayer sent it out by mistake and I felt so bad but I wasn't going to make my way to a post office to return it and then they would owe me. I wouldn't mind but my item was 99p and the postage was 5.20

DeafLeopard Thu 10-Jan-13 11:39:54

Oh she is being very cheeky trying it on....and then sending snippy e-mails.
What she chooses to do as a buyer is one thing, but as a seller she needs to follow ebay rules.

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:58:13

thanks all. It is v cheeky, and for the sake of £1.50...

ByTheWay1 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:47:49

I think your email is fine - she made a mistake and needs to absorb the cost herself.... oh - and P&P does not JUST include how much the stamp cost - also the packaging and getting to the Post Office (seller should always factor it in - but buyer often looks at stamp cost and thinks they have been diddled!)

She's a cheeky bugger and you are being v. polite about it!

I've guessed postage before when selling and found, to my cost, that i'd badly underestimated it. I had to suck it up because it was my mistake - I never would have asked the buyer to pay extra! shock

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:43:24

Ive just had another look at her seller profile, she sells loads and usually quite high value stuff. so not a novice.

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:41:38

Jayne, its crap, isnt it? and you feel bad about saying no, naff off. bloody manners!

Viviennemary Thu 10-Jan-13 10:41:08

She is absolutely in the wrong. I've sometimes not bid on things where I've thought the postage costs were excessive compared to the cost of the item. so in a way she was misleading you as to what you would be paying for the top. And this is just not on. If it was a heavy item like a large book I'd probably have more sympathy but not for a top which doesn't weigh that much. I wouldn't be surprised if she does this quite a lot.

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:41:01

done, hmm at snippy emails, its not my fault!

Jayne266 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:38:28

I had the exact same thing recently I ended up speaking to eBay and they said it's their loss (just of it)

fuzzpig Thu 10-Jan-13 10:38:17

I would add "it is always the seller's responsibility to research and set appropriate postage costs"

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:37:48

I really dont know. was going to leave positive, but after that reply I'm not so sure.

fuzzpig Thu 10-Jan-13 10:36:46

If she does it as a buyer regularly (I doubt it) she is a twit. It is entirely down to the seller to research prices before listing.

Thank goodness she had already left feedback for you. Are you going to leave neutral or negative, do you think?

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:29:58

Ive just had a reply: "Too late now – as a buyer I would always do this nevermind"

thinking about replying, "well you shouldnt. its against the rules and voids the contract as per ebay rules. and btw, as a seller, I would never ask."

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:25:15

I once sold a brand new 6-7 m&s autograph suit for £3.95 inc p&p. took the hit.

I know that if I were sending a lightweight silk top (esp if it had sold for less than I wanted) I would send in a plastic envelope, folded neatly. to cut down on p&p costs.

MrsZoidberg Thu 10-Jan-13 10:20:20

Second class Packet + recorded would be £3.15 - but I can't see a silk top being bigger than Large Letter size. It sounds more like she isn't aware of RM pricing structure and has over packaged it. I have found that a lot of people still think that RM charges by weight and not size.

fuzzpig Thu 10-Jan-13 10:16:18

If you underestimate postage cost as a seller that's your own fault! They were being very cheeky indeed.

We have made a few errors where we have lost out <shudders at memory of £9 fee to post some megabloks> but that's our own fault. We now have some scales that we use to weigh things in packaging before listing.

HormonalHousewife Thu 10-Jan-13 10:14:22

2.20 plus 95 p recorded delivery by the sounds of things.

I'd deffo not be wanting to pay for that !

TrampyPants Thu 10-Jan-13 10:12:29

and thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now