Is this an eating disorder

(4 Posts)
Firsttimer7259 Sun 09-Aug-15 07:45:52

I hope I'm not out of line but I'm getting concerned about me and eating

Can you have an ed if you just binge? I don't purge although sometimes I'm tempted. Is this just comfort eating?

It's been going on for a while - strands of it since childhood. But it's been a lot worse since pregnancy. I thought I'd just picked up a few bad eating habits in pregnancy but now I'm not so sure. Dd is now 5 I'm in a cycle of failed.diets exercise regimes . She is severely diasabled and I notice I use food to comfort.(or punish?) myself. There's lots of grief and periods of v bad sleep (this disrupts everything) and stress. which mess with my eating,health etc

Basically I eat till.it hurts, then I eat more. It feels compulsive. I tried a vlcd recently to get rid of a few pounds before quitting smoking. The diet was a dumb idea - I ditched itwithin.2 weeks and ate like crazy. I thought it would settle down in a couple of weeks it's been six weeks now and I'm still.putting away a lot of junk everyday. It's like I can't stop. I'm a bit upset at how I look and uncomfortable but I'm mainly freaked out. I can't seem to stop.

Is this an ed? If so, what can I do about it?

ralice Sun 09-Aug-15 07:53:54

Hi. Sorry you're struggling with this. Yes, it is an eating disorder known as binge eating disorder. If coupled with vlcd (extremely low) then could be classed as non-purging bulimia. Best way to get over it is with counselling, so either contact an eating disorders charity directly or ask your GP for a referral. Good luck smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 15-Aug-15 20:54:54

OP - yes it sounds like Binge Eating Disorder. There is a support thread in Eating Disorders. Come & join us?

Also look at Beat It, uk charity for EDs.

Some of us are following Dr Fairburn's book on Overcoming Binge Eating 2nd edition. I read it and it felt like I'd come home, as it were. So much of it applied to me.

Firsttimer7259 Mon 17-Aug-15 13:51:41

Hi thanks both of you.I've joined the support thread and downloaded the book. Eye opening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now