DIY/cheap/free gifts

(15 Posts)
WhatInTheWorld76 Sat 25-Jun-16 12:03:48

FFS How do people cope with people's birthdays when they have no money?

Make a gift? Adults usually understand but what can you do for kids?

What's a good present for a child when you are overdrawn and cannot spend a penny?

WhatInTheWorld76 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:37:05

I'm overwhelmed with response cheers MN!!

weaselwomble Sat 25-Jun-16 15:47:44

I doubt I will be much use as no children but who's child and how old?

WhatInTheWorld76 Sat 25-Jun-16 16:13:48

God daughter aged 6 or 7. Don't want to start world war 3 by checking. My own fault for not buying in advance but we all forget sometimes.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 25-Jun-16 16:16:53

Do you have the ingredients to make up a jar of cookie ingredients with a nice instructions label?

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 25-Jun-16 16:17:54

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/956638/chocolate-brownie-mix-in-a-jar

horizontilting Sat 25-Jun-16 16:27:59

If you would be able to bring her somewhere eg the cinema at a later date making a voucher for a cinema trip with you (and then arranging date that suits you better) with her parents can put off the payment part for a while and be a novel gift.

ShabbyNat Sat 25-Jun-16 16:33:39

Have a pamper/baking day, with stuff you already have in the cupboards/bathroom??
You could watch a movie at some point, if you have a laptop-watch the movie in the garden if its nice!! You could ask friends to borrow DVD`s for a couple of days.
At 6/7 years of age, you could get away with just doing nail painting-fingers & toes ready for hols, A bit of eye shadow, blusher & lippy!! Let her choose the colours to string it out a bit!! Assuming you wear make-up that is!! I don`t, so would be useless for me as I would have to buy make-up!! If you have any sort of hand/body lotion get her to moisterise her hands, arms & legs!!
Hope this helps, will carry on thinking & if I think of anything else will post again!!

MrsCurly Sat 25-Jun-16 16:36:19

Repot a plant from your garden - a strawberry plant if you have one? Or plant a sunflower seed in a pot? Tie with fancy ribbon.

SavoyCabbage Sat 25-Jun-16 16:38:11

I think the cookie jar thing is a good idea for that age.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Sat 25-Jun-16 16:40:06

Do you use Pinterest? I love it for crafty ideas for gifts and cards. Just search homemade gift for girls and see what pops up.

WhatInTheWorld76 Sat 25-Jun-16 16:57:57

Thanks. I was thinking a hotpotch of printable bookmark and whatever else I could find. I can't knit or sew so crocheting a bloody bag is out of order. Must try and remember to buy stuff in advance. Crap. I don't have pintrest? I'll keep going. Cookie in jar is no good she's allergy laden

SavoyCabbage Sat 25-Jun-16 16:59:08

The joy of 6/7 year olds is they will be thrilled with something that is perceived as a bit more grown up like cooking things or a plant. I remember my dd getting ice lolly moulds one year. She thought that was great. And once she got a box of fabric, some scissors and a pritt stick.

So consider anything you have in your house already. Toiletry bag. Seeds and a trowel. Watercolour paints.

WhatInTheWorld76 Sat 25-Jun-16 17:46:26

Thanks that's great advice. I'll get hunting for stuff like that.

Toberich Mon 11-Jul-16 13:56:16

Jam jar of cheap sweets - nice sticky label with his/her name on it or a bag of breadcrumbs to go and feed ducks somewhere ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now