Which is better aldi or lidl?

(35 Posts)
Karbea Thu 03-Oct-13 23:01:36

That's it really, I don't have either near me, so wondering which is the better one to make the journey to. Is it significantly better than tesco, which I can walk to.

DziezkoDisco Sun 03-Nov-13 22:20:55

Aldi lover here. Ended up in Asda this week and spent £40 more than I usually do in Aldi.

seb1 Mon 04-Nov-13 22:43:28

Lidl hot bakery bit is quite nice, though I prefer Aldi.

MERLYPUSS Wed 06-Nov-13 12:52:03

Aldi.
But Lidl do swirly chocolate spread, sliced burger gherkins, potato salad in creme fresh and kids tooth brushes which Aldi dont. Also chocolate curly cereal which we call tramps toenails, so I do one each week.

I probably prefer Aldi on balance but Lidl is a much shorter journey so I shop there and top up at Waitrose which I can walk to.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 23-Nov-13 19:09:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chanie44 Sat 23-Nov-13 19:12:51

I'm lucky because I have both stores near me. I have favourite items in each store, so go to both regularly.

I prefer aldi at the moment, but that's only because the store is about 2 years old and it's a bit of a novelty, whereas I've been shopping in lidl for for longer.

The one bugbear I have with lidl is that my local store only has a small selection of meat and they never have any in stock regardless if when I go.

ChippyMinton Sat 23-Nov-13 19:18:31

I did a Xmas stock up in Aldi today, based on all the 'best buy' articles.
Prosecco
mince pies
stollen
lebkuchen
plum, apple and cherry tarts (frozen)
pecan toffee roulade (frozen)
Crabbies mulled ginger wine
ale for DH

Bargainacious smile

ZombieMonkeyButler Sat 23-Nov-13 19:19:42

I prefer Aldi. We have both & Lidl is easier to park for, so I tend to pop in there a bit more though.

Aldi is cheaper that Lidl too, I find.

DragonMamma Sun 24-Nov-13 15:03:32

I have both near me but in opposite directions of each other. I tend to go to Lidl these days mainly because it's a much nicer shopping experience, the store is bigger and the aisles are wider. I like that I can get Marmite, Heinz ketchup etc there too.

My lidl has a much better selection of fruit and veg - celeriac, pomegranates are staples there whereas my local Aldi tends to just have the basics.

I still have to go to Tesco for Pampers though but now I force myself to just go in and out so I just buy nappies...

JBLB Sun 12-Jan-14 16:25:01

Hello everyone - I've just discovered Aldi!! I've been shopping at Sainsburys online for years and watching the amount I spend go up and up for seemingly fewer groceries. Then just before Christmas a friend told me about Aldi. I reckon that in about 4 really big shops I have already saved about £100! And super quality too - and the wines......!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now