What have you given up only to find you didn't need it anyway?

(58 Posts)
IamMummyhearmeROAR Tue 23-Jul-13 14:36:19

Spending a fiver every weekend on the newspapers. Not really missed any Big News and certainly don't miss the mess as my dh spreads them about the house

Glossy mags- full of ads and the same stories, most with little relevance to my life

Takeaways- cut down from once a month to a couple of times a year. My dh makes a mean curry and a great sweet and sour chicken

Tea smile

starfishmummy Sun 22-Sep-13 18:56:06

Books - mil doesn't like her kindle and is buying more books than ever. These come to us and I swap with a friend. Not always to my taste but just pass these straight on or donate them!!

lljkk Sun 22-Sep-13 19:14:21

almost everything. confused
DH is on spending spree though. angry

Badvoc Fri 27-Sep-13 14:05:08

Sunday paper
Magazines
Alcohol
Named brands

FreelanceMama Fri 11-Oct-13 21:19:42

Alcohol - gave it up when I was pregnant and very rarely have a drink now. But have replaced it with non-alcoholic beers... (but only 41p a bottle!)

Make-up and fussy skin products - can't remember why I gave it up but suspect it was when I stopped going out to pubs/clubs and also when I developed sensitive skin for a while. Now just use a decent face wash and moisturiser. And nail polish for my toes.

Going to the cinema or theatre, or out for dinner with my partner (used to do this a lot). Gave it up to save money and was too tired with a new baby and now it's an occasional treat. Instead we have takeaway and watch something free on BT Vision.

Buying music. I listen to the radio a lot now and also get music through BT vision.

thursdaysgirls Tue 22-Oct-13 20:40:55

TV - we use the xbox for 4oD, iPlayer, Netflix, Lovefilm - for the kids when I need to clean, cook dinner, want five minutes fucking peace My VM bill was almost £90 a month, now its £21 for internet and landline (studying with Open Uni so need it)

Snazzy contract mobile phone - haven't had one for 2 years, and have had a crap basic phone for 2 years. DH has brought me a Samsung Galaxy Mini 3 on sale for £160 as a belated birthday gift. I pay £10 a month for credit with o2, previously £40 a month with Vodafone o_O

Periods - hahaha - had the Mirena coil fitted so saved about £20 a month on painkillers, tampons, etc.

Cigarettes - was up to 20 a day fucking ex/my mother/stress etc so saved about £20-£30 a week on those, quit over a year ago. (Do still have the odd crafty smoke when I go out which is about 4 times a year.)

Bubbles1066 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:07:51

Another vote for newspapers, I read the Guardian and BBC online for free. I also stopped buying drinks when out, took a flask with me instead. Much cheaper.

Bubbles1066 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:11:00

Oh and buying music from ITunes. I listen to it on YouTube (legally) through Vevo instead for free. The ads don't bother me, you can skip them after 5 seconds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now