Austere April - Frugaleers continue to the next quarter!

(401 Posts)
Leilandri Thu 28-Mar-13 20:44:23

Come and join us for another frugal/thrifty/down-right stingy month! wink

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Apr-13 13:38:28

Ta!

MamaTo2FabBoys Wed 17-Apr-13 15:56:45

Another nsd 11/12, although unfortunately I had a little free time this afternoon and have eaten half the chocolate in the house.

IsThatTrue Wed 17-Apr-13 16:50:33

NSD 7 not too bad. Tomorrow will be a LSD as only £1 to pay for toddler group. I shouldn't need anything Friday but sat I am out to lunch with a friend and need to do our 6 weekly Costco shop. Big kids are with their dad though so only ds2 here and he doesn't need any paid entertainment yet!

northender Wed 17-Apr-13 17:45:10

£105 at Aldi today but that includes wine and some snacky stuff/treats for next weekend. Nothing else spent.

AdoraBell Wed 17-Apr-13 21:06:58

I'm sat here having a sneaky coffee before school run and the waiter, looks like a newby, gave me someone else's change, I haven't asked for my bill yet! Had to tell him it wasn't my money otherwise my coffee would give me indegestion.

Tomorrow will be an NSD then OH is away again so it'll be costly school runs & mucho petrol.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Apr-13 08:17:25

Well, I sold all my old stuff on eBay. Quite pleased because it was stuff like curling tongs etc that dh said wouldn't sell.

Just got to package it up and ship it out now.

northender Thu 18-Apr-13 10:16:03

Well done on the ebay success fluffy. Getting more money coming in any which way is just as good as saving.
We've had lots of work done on the house over the past couple of years, hence being on this thread grin. It's almost finished now so we're trying to get it as finished as we can at minimal cost before next weekend (did I mention we're having visitors??wink). So things like touching up paintwork, putting pictures back up, finishing some roman blinds I started 2 years ago(!) etc.
We've a big CD storage problem (we're old, we still love our CDs) and have found some good shelves on the ikea website. Now we're waiting until dh has a meeting close to ikea to go to and then he'll get them en route. It's a 70 mile round trip otherwise so save some fuel.

Cocktailsorcakes Thu 18-Apr-13 17:53:54

I managed a NSD yesterday but today spent the last of my £25 food budget!!

I will still need some bits for the weekend but hopefully two NSDs over the next 3 days.

takeaway2 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:02:33

NSD yesterday. Today had to top up petrol to full tank (the light came on!) so that was £60 or so. Then £2 for car park at hospital for blood tests. Brought packed lunch today as did DS. So doing ok! Tonight BBQ ribs from aldi, rice (ran out of potatoes) and frozen stir fry veg.

TinyDiamond Thu 18-Apr-13 18:05:23

having a shite month. Only just got to 3/16. aaarggh

foryonisonly Thu 18-Apr-13 21:37:10

6/10 woo hoo. could have done more if I had been more disciplined.

Pluto Fri 19-Apr-13 05:56:33

Back at work this week so have achieved 4 NSDs in a row...but I am sure I will make up for it at the weekend! Weather is looking promising for the car boot - we postponed it from last weekend as rain was forecast.

foryonisonly Fri 19-Apr-13 06:26:33

Pluto, hope it goes well. There is an indoor one near me that I am tempted to try. I'm ebaying but its not as fast moving as it used to be that's for sure. I'vr made about £60 so far on things I didn't need so am pleased. however, a lot of dead certs didn't sell! My best seller was a new bra of all things. Need a couple of hours to iron & list sone baby clothes and ny clothes. They seem to be selling well.

MamaTo2FabBoys Fri 19-Apr-13 20:21:31

Would have been a nsd but had to pay a fiver for a nursery trip next month.

CremeEggThief Fri 19-Apr-13 21:17:26

First NSD since the 4th April smile.

I'll read through later. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

IsThatTrue Sat 20-Apr-13 02:24:29

Has every one seen

this

Free national trust weekend? There's a list of properties taking part on there somewhere!

foryonisonly Sat 20-Apr-13 06:33:05

Wow, NT freebie is great. Typical though - this weekend is already packed full so no time for NT. Today we have the school spring fair (dcs want to buy things with change from dh's money tin and no doubt I will buy some bits too. Also need to buy random things like shower gel and apples. wanted to tell you all B&M have massive trade size bottles of tigi bed head and catwalk shampoo for 9.99. A big outlay but they will last months. Need to do a stock take today & meal plan. went to morrisons last night but it was way too packed. I turned around, called at the petrol station for bread & milk and came home ! Will see how long I can plan without going shopping. Payday thursday. I think its been a frugal month - hoping to have a good £400 left from grocery / petrol budget. Need to start saving for holiday.

Thatsinteresting Sat 20-Apr-13 11:28:23

Will have proper read through later but I just wanted to mention that for a limited time Quidco have 5% cashback on Amazon purchases. Also Tesco have 25% off when buying 2 cases of wine, some are already half price, when you spend £50. This can take you below the free delivery threshold so I've made a joint purchase with a couple of friends. 6 bottles of £10ish wine for about £20. Planning on doing lots of at home entertaining this summer as it's cheaper so will be nice to have some wine already bought. Hope everyone is enjoying a frugal weekend.

IsThatTrue Sat 20-Apr-13 20:06:26

Anyone know if Costco sell bread flour?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 20-Apr-13 22:09:34

I think they do, it might be cheaper on amazon though.

Ring them and ask. The staff are friendly in mine.

northender Sat 20-Apr-13 22:22:03

aldi sell resonably priced bread flour if that helps smile

IsThatTrue Sat 20-Apr-13 22:49:55

No also near me, we're heading to Costco tomo so I shall try there, I've looked at amazon before but it worked out more expensive than the allinson flour from our local asda and tesco by about 10p a kg, and I don't have room to store a massive bag. Hopefully Costco will have a solution!

I don't think so. They don't in the one in Milton keynes.

IsThatTrue Sun 21-Apr-13 08:14:10

Oh sad

CremeEggThief Sun 21-Apr-13 14:18:10

NSD (so far!) today. Yesterday's total was £6.24, £2.50 of which was DS's pocket money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now