Do we have a Frugal February thread yet?

(917 Posts)
MrsDeVere Tue 29-Jan-13 18:49:50

or Frugalbruary if you will?

If there is, point me too it. If not, do you want to join?

I had planned to not spend at all next month. Looks like I will be paying out on two rather big things so its even more important I rein in the wasteful spending.

This is my first frugal fred so I need some help and I know that a lot of you are really good at this sort of thing.

Anyone interested?

naomilpeb Mon 25-Feb-13 15:31:27

NSD on Sunday, and today have spent only the £16 on the train to work which is rather unavoidable!

On Saturday I spent £30 on food shopping, and was very good and only bought things I know we'll need over the next few weeks. Looking at all the food w have in the cupboard and freezer, we should be OK till pay-day except for topping up on fruit, veg, milk and eggs. The amount the kids get through, we should have an apple tree, chickens and a cow in the back garden - sadly we only have a small square of concrete...

I'll be going away for work for the whole of next week, which will actually save us money as I won't have to get the train to work, which saves £45 straight off.

The rest of the week is going to be a bit spendy though: £60 for DD's swimming lessons and another £60 to book camping over half-term, both of which we had to pay now or lose the places. It'll be nice to have those expenses out of the way, but we won't have much left after that.

I too feel everyone's new shoe pain, we definitely have to take the kids to get their feet measured when I'm paid. That sort of feeling is what makes me want to sort our finances out - not having any spare money to buy the kids new shoes until I get paid is not a good situation to be in.

I'm impressed by everyone's freezers full of left-overs. DP never seems to leave any, he even clears the kids plates after they've had enough blush. That said, inspired by this thread I froze some leftover lentils last night after I cooked too many to put in the stew for dinner.

northender Mon 25-Feb-13 16:29:56

I'm having PC problems so sending this from my phone as I wanted to catch up. £70 today at aldi but that should last to the end of March. hm cheese and onion pie for tea using up all the dregs of cheese from the fridge! It has cheddar, parmesan, lancashire, five counties! Working on a meal plan for March now. Will sit down with dh later this week and do a review of our finances. Its our plan to do this at the end of every month from now on so we both know where we are.
Its likely to be a spendy week as its dh's birthday and we're going out for tea (first family meal out of 2013). Going to go to our favourite Italian (special offer 6-7 Weekdays!)
Well done everyone, keep it up!

Leilandri Mon 25-Feb-13 19:48:51

NSD today smile

Our toaster died this morning, but my Ddad was going shopping in Morrisons, and used the £10 voucher from their latest "payday bonus" scheme to buy us a new one. Dmum bought DS2 new shoes as his were too small (she has bought every pair of shoes my boys have ever had - lucky me!)

Another NSD planned for tomorrow - allotment day with DH smile

IsThatTrue Mon 25-Feb-13 20:06:42

NSD today will need to pay next months school dinners on thurs but hopefully will not spend tomo or weds. Got loads of work done too so hopefully will have £150-£200 spare to go into savings this month.

MavisGrind Mon 25-Feb-13 20:44:54

Evening all! Just petrol today so not too bad. Have checked my bank account today though and I don't seem to have made a dent in my OD despite being pretty careful sad. I think I was worse off than I thought as WTC coming in mid-month hid it. Anyway, if I work on cash in March I should make a sizeable dent.

Anyway, we're coming to the end of the month - how do we think we've all done (if you haven't already buggered off to a March thread! grin)

CremeEggThief Mon 25-Feb-13 21:13:29

£5.72 on a few bits from the Co-op.

Hoping and praying DS's school shoes last until Easter!

1stMrsFrugal Mon 25-Feb-13 21:34:16

Sorry, not had time to catch up, but just dropping in. Started new job today and everything went well for me and at home with DH and DCs. Been v busy and spendy getting ready to start, but overall spend for the month not too bad and we will have NSDs for the rest of the week (month!) then I am aiming for a very frugal March until I get paid for the first time.

Helenagrace Mon 25-Feb-13 23:25:05

Top up shop in the farm shop and then across the road to Asda for a few bits.

I realised today just how much my habits have changed. I haven't bought a glossy magazine this year (I used to buy 3 or 4 a month) and I haven't missed them. I haven't bought a takeaway coffee this year either so I reckon my £3 bargain mini flask has paid for itself tenfold. Last week I bought some plums but they were really sour. Old Helena would have chucked them out but the new, improved, frugaleer Helena just stewed them with some sugar to go with the leftover crumble topping from yesterday and hey presto free pudding!

jaynebxl Tue 26-Feb-13 06:35:56

Chasingtail I label freezer pots with either stickers and pencil then just cross out or rub off or usually with a marker pen. I have found that marker pens are not as permanent as advertised so it often comes off in soapy water anyway. My freezer pots do have lots of writing on with lots of crossings out but I only use those ones for the freezer so it doesn't matter.

Thingymajigs Tue 26-Feb-13 07:15:17

Yesterday I planned ahead to work out how much I had left to either save or spend on food shopping. I've split it up and I'm aiming to spend £200 on food in March which would leave me with £200 for savings.
This could be quite a spendy month though as DS has asked for a WiiU for his joint Christmas/birthday present. I'll probably buy a used one on eBay. The boys and DP are also going to watch RobotWars Live on Sunday which was £33 for 3 tickets but any extras they buy has to be from their own pocket money.
Oh I also told DS that if he wants a new 3DS charger then it comes out of his pocket money. He suddenly had a burst of energy and is determined to find the old one.

takeaway2 Tue 26-Feb-13 07:18:01

Morning all. Yesterday was a technical NSD. smile Had to pay for school dinners but I didn't have change so took it out of son's piggybank. Work had working lunch on and actually it's on for the rest of the week so NSD I think for the rest of the week! Dinner was chicken noodle soup.

Tonight it's going to be fish and leftover rice.

I was reviewing my spending for the last month and its clear to me that we need to meal plan and organise shopping. DH has a habit of picking up what he thinks we need and we end up with stockpiles of random stuff (3 pots of raspberry jam confused). There were too many bits and pieces top up shops.

I am only really aiming for breakeven at the moment as we are spending huge amounts on the house and so saving isn't an option. I just want to make sure I can cover all the bills etc. out of current income and free up some cash towards the house.

stormforce10 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:28:49

Managed a NSD yesterday so have now hit my target of 10 NSDs for February. I may try for another tomorrow just for fun grin

I spent £30 in Aldi this morning on the weekly shop. Might need a bread and milk top up at some point and possibly some nappies as DS has had a stomach bug (nuff said) otherwise hoping to get through until March 5th without needing anything else. Pay day on Thursday so not long to wait.

I've decided to take part in the 40 days 40 bags challenge on good house keeping - i.e. throw out, sell or otherwise dispose of 40 bags of stuff in 40 days. I've jsut taken a huge bag of things to a charity shop.

In the process of tidying I've found a £1 coin, a £2 coin, 16p in coppers AND a £15 M&S gift card someone gave me for my birthday and I forgot to spend so its been a profitable day. I've also made 75p answering surveys on one poll.

CremeEggThief Tue 26-Feb-13 17:39:10

Good going, Storm.

I spent nearly £12 in Lidl and about £3 in Tesco and then Iwent to Morrisons. I SO wish I had one nearer to me! This one is in a town about ten miles away and I don't drive sad.

I went a bit mad, to be honest, as they have loads of veggie stuff and Sacla organic pesto (only jar of pesto I've come across that's labelled suitable for vegetarians, apart from super expensive stuff you buy in delis) that I can normally only buy at Sainsburys. I also stocked up on bags of frozen onions, stirfry veg and casserole veg- all £1 each! So I spent just under £25 there in total, but it's all stuff that we will use in meals over the next few weeks.

<Seriously contemplates moving nearer to Morrisons.>

Leilandri Tue 26-Feb-13 20:13:45

That's good going Storm
Creme I get the casserole veg, and stir fry veg from Morrisons. It's great smile

NSD today - got lots done at allotment as rare day with DH without the DS's so we cracked on with lots and just about managed to avoid frostbite!

Going for a long walk along the canal tomorrow as DH wants to collect nettles to brew his own beer. We'll aim to end in morrisons for a hot choc to warm up, and a possible bus ride home is DS1 is too whingy tired, so maybe £10 tomorrow.

takeaway2 Tue 26-Feb-13 20:18:28

Well done everyone!
Another NSD today! Think it's my 15th one or so? I tend to manage 4 weekdays of NSD most days but its because I bring leftovers for lunch and absolutely refuse to buy anything. V tight. But then spend like mad during the weekend. hmm

It was a big spendy month like DS's birthday, Chinese New Year and so spent on food and new clothes for everyone but hoping that the damage isn't too bad. Especially with my audit of my freezer!! Or at least the damage towards next month's cc bill isn't too bad! gulp

naomilpeb Tue 26-Feb-13 20:28:59

£2.50 today for the bus to my colleague's house, as we're working on a project together. She gave me lunch in exchange for me schlepping there, and sent me home with a big bag of boy's clothes that her son has outgrown for DS. Lovely lady! This evening I am patching some of DA's trousers at the knee to give them a bit more life - the old me would have chucked them out, the new me feels very pleased with herself! With that and the free clothes we should manage to avoid buying anything for him for a while. I do wish he'd stop growing so fast!

I like the sound of Morrison's frozen veg, there's one a half-hour from us, maybe I'll take the kids for a trip there at the weekend.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 26-Feb-13 20:35:30

all you wise farm shop shoppers, where do you live? all the ones I know of around here (Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire) are really gorgeous but pretentious & expensive - croots, chatsworth etc. anyone know of a proper bargainous one?

CremeEggThief Tue 26-Feb-13 21:07:26

Leilandri, I didn't even know this type of frozen veg existed! I also have my eye on the frozen peppers now for next time. Enjoy your walk and your Morrisons hot chocolate smile.

BornToFolk Tue 26-Feb-13 21:39:36

chasingtail I use masking tape and a Sharpie on lots of old takeaway containers! The masking tapes sticks fine in the freezer but peels off easily.

I have shoe angst too. DS's shoes were lasting well, still fit and everything and he lost one at school today hmm There was a single, similar looking shoe hanging around so I'm hoping that someone has taken DS's home by accident and it'll come back tomorrow. I really hope so! I'll be seriously peeved if I have to buy a new pair before he outgrew or destroyed them!

I did an Approved Food order today. They have loads of Mexican stuff in at the moment, tortillas, fajita kits etc which should be good for making meals out of and I managed to be very restrained with the chocolate and crisps, although I could not resist 5 Crunchies for a pound!

Oh, and if anyone is doing a Tesco online order, look out for free ham! It's Tesco Finest 16 Month Matured San Danielle Ham 75G. I'm veggie but I ordered some for my mum.

jaynebxl Wed 27-Feb-13 07:56:29

Have to ask ... borntofolk, are you a folk fan?!

BornToFolk Wed 27-Feb-13 08:55:30

grin I'm not adverse to a bit of folk actually, I really like Bellowhead but my username comes from Flight of the Conchords

IsThatTrue Wed 27-Feb-13 11:05:51

Got an email from lands end £10 if you spend £10 or more. Some good bargains in the outlet. The code is 10for10. I could only find something for £9.50 so I shall not buy anything. I'm sure I can do without anyway.

Free hot choc this morning as friends paid but next time is my round. And looking at a snowsuit ending in an hour on eBay for ds2 currently 99p with no bids and £3.00 postage.

BornToFolk Wed 27-Feb-13 11:38:42

Oooh thanks, IsThatTrue! Am just looking at some shorts for DS but not sure whether to get 5-6 or 7-8 (he's a big 5 year old so currently wearing 5-6 or 6-7). Anyone know what the sizing is like?

jaynebxl Wed 27-Feb-13 18:55:35

No idea about sizing but I'm a Bellowhead fan too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now